time to upgrade could use some advice

usaweapon777

Currently running a gtx460 1gb with primary display being 1680x1050. My favorite game World of Tanks is now starting to push 460 and I can't run it at max settings like I'd like. I'd also like to start playing Hawken and some other games so I figure an upgrade of some sort is in order. What do you guys think would be the best bang for the buck upgrade wise? Should I try to find a cheap used 460 and SLI, or just upgrade now to something like a 7870 or equivalent? Thanks for the help in advance. 

Before the HD 7850's or HD 7870's came out, I would have said to just find another and SLI. However, these HD 7850/7870's are nice little monsters that would outperform the GTX 460 1GB SLI, while being much more efficient, quiet, and cooler. I'd get one of them and try to sell your GTX 460 1GB.

How's the gtx660 fair vs 7870? From what i've seen the 7870 leads by a small amount. I'm actually leaning towards a 660 now. Price comparing i can get one about $15 cheaper than a 7870 along with some free game bonuses. I also fold in my free time and last time I checked nvidia cards were far superior when it came to folding.

Edited by usaweapon777

Is your 460 overclocked all the way?? That was always the 460's claim to fame, almost all of them overclock like demons and gave ridiculous performance for the $$ spent! I'd try that first (if you haven't yet).

I'm not sure on the 660 myself, having never looked at reviews of any yet.

USA - in your situation I think a lot of my decision would depend on what I could get out of my used GTX 460.  If you could get enough out of your 460 to make a decent dent in the cost of a brand new card, then I'd follow Cappy's recommendation for a HD 7850 or HD 7870.

However, if you find out that current market for the 460 is severely under-valued or depressed, I would certainly give consideration to buying another card and running them in SLi.  Now I'm not talking benchmark performance here, I'm talking about real life day to day gaming at the resolution you're currently playing at.

Alright, well I think I'm going to go for a gtx660. World of Tanks and Hawken both seem to favor Nvidia, and I have a few other games with Physx. The in game credit deal nvidia has right now isn't bad either. The 460's still seem to have some worth so I'll probably flip that and then use the 660 with a gt 240 I have laying around to offload the physx just because i have that extra card laying around. Thanks for the advice guys.

GTX 660 Ti is best bang for the buck atm. 

Honestly, If you haven't upgraded yet then hold off! new cards about to come out and leaked performance tests have the mid-range AMD 8xxx cards performing around the GTX 670s. Results are not validated but still something to keep an eye out for. Nvidia no doubt will be followed right behind with their Kepler refreshes right after.

Edited by DnaAngel