Sync Windows User Folder with Google Drive or DropBox?

Duff Man

so it's been a while but I'm once again back with a question.

I'm looking at picking up an Envy 4 from my local costco for my girlfriend and wouldn't mind using it myself from time to time, thing is I would enjoy having a portable windows experience between my desktop and said laptop.

How much of a bad idea would syncing my entire user directory with web based cloud storage be? I'm in the process of pushing most of my high volume content (music, movies) to a NAS for easy access from any device at home so storage wouldn't be much of an issue. I'm sure I'll have an occasionally long login process as everything fetches but is it really feasible?

I'm split between using a NTFS directory junction point to move the directory location to the directory of my choice or just setting the sync utility to sync the User Folder.

Or should I bite the bullet and upgrade to Win 8 and use Microsoft's sync feature?

Thanks!

It won't work well since dropbox won't sync till after you log in.

Whoops, forgot about that. Thanks for the response. I was thinking eh, it'll log in and sync once its done but forgot it'd never be able to overwrite all the files in use. Back to the drawing-board. I'm trying to avoid active directories.

I could just bite the bullet have to settle from chrome and only sync my docs. I must be trying to create a project doomed to fail to occupy my time or something.

If synced folders are what you want, just use windows live mesh

This is what I use to sync between my desktop and laptop and I really like it. You may not get access to the files from a mobile app like the Skydrive application ComputerEd mentions, but one thing you can do is just have Mesh sync between computers, instead of with the cloud. That means you don't need to worry about cloud storage because that's not needed.

If you have a permanent internet connection, why not just work directly from the dropbox folder?

That was my first thought. I was thinking I could keep my whole user folder synced.

Thing is most of my content is already on the cloud be it through drive, chrome, or whatever service. I mostly just want a persistent user folder that follows me from my desktop to laptop. Migrating my user settings back and forth. Eh, there's windows 8.