IVI's third laptop bake (no fires this time!)

IVIYTH0S

So I just baked my friends pretty old Sony laptop (and by old, I mean an IDE Fujitsu HDD old) was having video issues much like my dad's HP was. (Oh Nvidia...)

Anyway it seems to be be working quite well (no fires like last time, made sure to remove the button batteries before I cooked it :D )

The true test will be for my friend to use it since before the bake it wouldn't act up for me and the second I went to show it to her, artifacts everywhere!

Here it is all nude (pervs!)
NikLapBoard_zps4612c02a.jpg

As mentioned in my past baking topics, my method for baking is:

6 step process:
1. Disassemble down to as bare circuitry as you can (it seemed all the laptop stickers/covers I couldn't remove were plenty resistant to the high heat, but still do the best you can)

2. Find a flat cooking tray and lay out a sheet of aluminum foil (may not need the foil but I have used it for both my bakes)

3. Preheat oven to 395F.

4. Once oven has reached its cruising temp of 395F, you can load up the board/tray into the oven, I try to put it as central a rack as I can so it gets as even a bake as possible.
***I'd set your timer(s) prior to this to ensure perfect timing...luckily I have a triple row timer that lets me have 3 different countdowns***

5. Timing:
Stage 1: 9 minutes and 30 seconds (baking)
Stage 2: 30 seconds cool down (oven closed, heating element off)
Stage 3: 30 minutes cool down (oven cracked just enough to let the hot air vent out slowly)

6: The board should be cool by this point and you can begin to reconstruct its working components back onto it (cooler: GPU, accessories: motherboard ... etc.)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Congrats on your first successful bake!  I'm still amazed this works...when I revived a $20 4870X2 a few years ago I was floored when it fired up first time. :lol:

Congrats on your first successful bake!  I'm still amazed this works...when I revived a $20 4870X2 a few years ago I was floored when it fired up first time. :lol:

Third actually :P just second successful laptop (making 2 laptops saved and an 8800GT....all at the fault of nvidia lol)

nice... I love the smell of freshly baked PC parts...

My parents don't :D

Since my POS toshiba has decided to start crashing again now that it's a month out of warranty I may have to try this. Then again I may just barrow a gun and blow the sh*t outta it.

Do it and video tape one and then the other should that be necessary!

nice... I love the smell of freshly baked PC parts...

yes, in the morning, it smells like victory...

And in the evening, during winter with all the windows closed, it smells life lost brain cells

Add a little powdered sugar and you've got breakfast   :)

Or in my case, a late night snack!

Told Dell tech support if they can't get the laptop my companies safety director uses fixed it was coming back to them in pieces after I barrowed his .45 and blew the shit outta it then gave him the fone back and left his office.

I miss old laptops with physical sockets that you can upgrade.

My ivy bridge is interchangable but sadly those tasty forbidden fruits, the 17W versions are all hard soldered in....I'd LOVE to be able to swap my 35W for the 17W chips, *sigh*, all I can do is get the stronger quads for my socket and considering my dual core screams....I'm looking for efficiency and not MOAR CORES, but I am sad that eventually I'll be forced to go all soldered whenever this laptop croaks... (heck I was able to upgrade my sister's Lenovo from an i3 to an i5 from my burnt up last laptop because of interchangeable design...)

Told Dell tech support if they can't get the laptop my companies safety director uses fixed it was coming back to them in pieces after I barrowed his .45 and blew the shit outta it then gave him the fone back and left his office.

:lol: please have a chapter 2!