ATI 6800 Cards Reviewed

Bosco

Awesome sauce. So the 6850/6870 are the same performance as the 5850/5870 only at 50-100 dollars cheaper.

The 6870 single card performance wise sits between the 5850 and 5870 so not quite as good as a 5870, but its better value for sure and it looks to be more efficient in X-fire than the 5000 series so all in all a great card.

What I really cant wait for is for the price shakeup to happen here in NZ. Will take a 4-6 weeks before all of the price drops filter through, then I can decide on what to use to finish my AMD rig.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_6800series/18.htm

I think you mixed up the load/overclocked load temperature graphs. Unless the cards actually run cooler when they are overclocked...

Edit: Nevermind. I just saw that the fan speed was changed in the overclocked tests.

:cheers:

I wish they did some reviews doing overclocked settings compared to stock. Anyone even thinking of getting the 6870 or 6850 will be thinking about getting a GTX 470 or a GTX 460 1GB. I think overclocked, the GTX 470 / 460 1GB would win in a price/performance overclocked competition. In SLI, definitely. Only Legit Reviews and Tom's Hardware has done an overclock on the 6870 and 6850, and I wasn't impressed (with the overclocked margins). Tom's Hardware (though they try), always compare overclocked results stupidly. Overclocked HD 6870 vs stock GTX 470 or stock GTX 460 1GB. C'mon, really? Also, never any overclocked SLI or overclocked Crossfire comparisons, either.

If you look OCC does both stock and overclocked on all of the cards tested.

Btw, great review. Can't wait for the SLI/Crossfire comparisons. Eh, can't believe they made it efficient but have that loud of fan noise and that limited overclockability for the 6870's. It looks like two 6850's in crossfire could be a winner, though.

WOW :fp:

People are actually complaining that a certain card was tested :lol: Shakes head, who gives a crap if an OC version of a GTX 460 was used or not???? All of our GTX 460's reviewed on OCC were OC versions anyway, people need to get a life and find something else to bitch about. :rolleyes:

Well what would you rather tell your friends, Hey guys I got an HD 6870! or...Hey guys I got an HD 6770!

Latter sounds better :)

I think you mean the former, not the latter. :P

I have to say, I'm kind of tempted to upgrade to the 6870. Money wise isn't much more than what I paid for my 5770 this summer, but then again, I have only used it for 3 months. :lol: I suppose I'll wait for the 6900 series..

WOW :fp:

People are actually complaining that a certain card was tested :lol: Shakes head, who gives a crap if an OC version of a GTX 460 was used or not???? All of our GTX 460's reviewed on OCC were OC versions anyway, people need to get a life and find something else to classy lady about. :rolleyes:

That's why I <3 you Bosco.