OUYA - A new kind of video game console

airman

The video is self-explanitory, the the earlier/first comments had a lot of good info and insight.

At this point I don't think there's an official website or anything for it yet, a Google search for OUYA brings up the KS page. I've pledged $125 to get the unit plus the extra controller.

If a discussion on it is already here, forgive me - search for OUYA brought up no results!

Saw this in the news earlier today --- big bucks for them already...

:withstupid: My ex game design teacher had it on his facebook and I checked i out. Pretty neat, I'd like to see one in action, like the concept though (and show me the whole final controller!! I swear they never want us to see the damn thing lol, looks like an xbox controller)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

:withstupid: My ex game design teacher had it on his facebook and I checked i out. Pretty neat, I'd like to see one in action, like the concept though (and show me the whole final controller!! I swear they never want us to see the damn thing lol, looks like an xbox controller)

:withstupid:

Depending on what the controller is like, that would be my main factor in deciding to get one of these or not. If it's like an Xbox controller, no thank you, if it's like a Playstation controller, maybe. I'm not a big fan of consoles really, and their marketing doesn't really appeal to me, I mean I play all my games on a TV regardless of being console or pc.

To me, what would make this appealing is price for starters, I've always felt that once you buy the console, the controllers, other accessories, and the games, you're pretty well in debt. However, let's say you can get this console and two controllers for $150~ and the games are reasonably prices and have sales often, I'd probably go for it. Not sure if that's the release price for this thing, just going off that kickstarter page's info.

Anyway, looking forward to them releasing more info on this, it looks promising so far. :D

I actually read about it one or two weeks ago before the kickstarter...maybe on Kotaku?

While it sounds promising, it's not all that different than simply connecting an Android phone to output to a TV. I mean, a Tegra3 chip and just 1GB of RAM? I know they want to keep cost down, but they could have easily added more RAM without having to pass the cost on to consumers.

I personally don't want to play "mobile games" on my TV...I don't get why people play Fruit Ninja at Dave & Busters. I play mobile games to pass time and even the most robust games aren't something I'd just sit down to play like a AAA PC or console game. With such mediocre specs, they're not going to create the next Crysis.

Mainstream gaming is going to get a lot more mainstream. Why spend millions of dollars making a game like Kingdoms of Amalur when you can make a $50,000 mobile game and make millions?

I'm rather skeptical on how successful this will be. As a PC gamer if this thing doesn't get any old school or current PC/Console game ports, I see almost no reason to buy one.

I saw a screencap of LoL, but it only turned out to be for the Twitch.tv streaming service and not the actual game haha. I'll wait for a Steam box instead. The only game I play for hours on my tablet is Final Fantasy 3, and that's not even an original mobile game.

The only things I can see this being useful for gamers is controllers (Playing Shadowgun on touchscreen isn't ideal) and emulators.

Edited by AZNguyen

For me, it immediately satisfies my desires of having an HTPC/media box without having to deal with building/finding a computer, setting it up, taking up space, etc. The games/controller/touchpad are just extras for me. The apps/android nature of it will make the possibilities endless and I really look forward to seeing what it can do and how far it goes.

Sure, it's not going to replace anyone's PS3 or 360, but it will find its way into many of our homes as a very cool media/entertainment system. Many people in the course of the day have expressed a desire for 2GB of RAM. For $95 - you can't really expect that, but with enough 2GB suggestions may get OUYA to change the hardware to allow for 2GB and just mark the price up by a little bit when it hits the retail market next year.

I will say though, don't the 360s and PS3s only have 512MB of RAM? 1GB may be more than enough

Why spend millions of dollars making a game like Kingdoms of Amalur when you can make a $50,000 mobile game and make millions?

Why don't you write the next twilight?

......so you haven't wrote the next twilight.

I'd rather spend $50,000 trying to write the next Twilight, than spend millions trying to write "The Lord of the Rings", and fail.

Edited by El_Capitan