Asus maximus extreme x38 wrong bios

stupid me the bios location is in the manual and I saw it all and dind't see lol   the bios is the one from the second picture.    I already  ordered a chip and If I succees no more bios playing lol

thanks all for help I really appreciate it!

Looking good!,Just clean it with 90%+ alcohol or flux remover when you do the real deal.

Just be careful about applying too much heat or you will most likely fry the new chip due to the heat.

• Like 1

On your practice board try setting your iron to 265 degrees, this seems to be the sweet spot any thing higher will damage board and any setting lower will not perform well, put a damp rag on bench to rest board on while working, will help minimize heat transfer, speed is key when removing or installing caps or chips and the more you practice the faster you will get.

Edited by Braegnok
  • Like 1

lucky me... they sent a wrong bios http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/wrongbios.jpg/    GRrrrrRRr

I sent an email for another bios site and they said these bios models are compatible " MX25L1606, or Winbond W25X16AVSSIG, W25Q16BVSSIG, CFEON F16 and sst 25vf016b any one would suit you. "  but all of them are the correct size.

one question now... Is there any harm If I try that bigger bios in my smaller bios spot? (with some wires )  because supposedly the bios they sent is programmed for my motherboard.

Edited by MaRcIu

The Winbond chip, in your last image is a removable 8-pin type. And is not compatible with the 8-pin non-removable socket on your board, does Asus list any cross reference chips as compatible?, I recommend using manufacture replacement chip specified for your motherboard.

Why not buy the exact same BIOS chip from Asus ?.. also new chip must be installed exactly as the one being removed. If you rotate chip 180o chances are it will short out, and if you install any chip other than original replacement you risk damaging your motherboard beyond repair.  

Edit: Asus has exact replacement in stock,.. Your doing this chip replacement because you flashed incorrect BIOS not meant for your motherboard,

And to fix it you want to install a chip that you know is not meant for your motherboard? :slap:  I don't know what to say man?

But I wish you the best of luck. :unsure:  

Edited by Braegnok

Um... WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!!!

Your board has ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3.

If your not getting anything on the screen Alt+F2 is the key combination that starts the BIOS recovery is it doesn't happen automatically.

If you get anything on the screen you can do this.

If not what is the bios beep error code you are getting.

• Like 1

Um... WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!!!

i'm doing this because as I said my motherboard does not do anything. no beeps no nothing. cpu init error, all lights on, nothing. I tried that too.

"Why not buy the exact same BIOS chip from Asus ?.. also new chip must be installed exactly as the one being removed. If you rotate chip 180o chances are it will short out, and if you install any chip other than original replacement you risk damaging your motherboard beyond repair. "

I'm waiting for the equivalent chip now and as for asus I sent them an email explaining what I want and they said that can't help me because out of warranty period.

Edited by MaRcIu

I think perhaps they misunderstood you MR,.. I checked around 2:00 yesterday afternoon and Kara, a BIOS support engineer told me she had out of warranty replacement chips in stock,.. for the X38 Maximus Formula Boards.

with 2-day shipping included cost was $45.00.. 

BIOS Dept. [email protected]  level 3 support Engineer.  phone: 812-282-2787

But you have equivalent chip on the way, that's good news. :thumbsup:  

Edited by Braegnok
  • Like 1

that is some useful information Braegnok thanks!   I paid 10$ for mine with 4 day shipping from holand to portugal-

edit: received today the new one. 2  day shipping!  now I must prepare hehe

Edited by MaRcIu