Just me, but I wouldn't run 1.75v through my DDR3 memory modules except for benchmarking or bragging.  I certainly wouldn't do it 24/7.

Not to mention the amount of voltage that you'll probably have to push through the memory controller to hit those speeds.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So lets take an fx8350 for example

its wattage is 125 and 1.3 volts if you 125\1.3= 96.15 round up to 96.2 so its 96.2 amps

watts = amps*volts 96.2*1.3= 125.06 round down to 125 watts

volts = watts/amps so 125/96.2= 1.3002 so we round to 1.3 volts

And correct me If I'm wrong this comes into play when choosing your psu because you need to enough amps on your 12 volt rail assuming a single rail to handle all your video cards CPU etc.

so for example if you had a a system that a FX 9590 stock tdp and an R9 290x you would need at least 44 amps on your 12 volt rail to support them because 520/12= 43.3 but you would round up to 44 obviously.

So do I have the basics right here?

HIgh speed memory usually has a trade off in speed vs Latency. AMD rigs respond well to higher speeds when going from 1600 to 1866 to 2133Mhz.  Over 2133Mhz you really need to start tweaking to get fully stable.  

Personally I think that would be a smart choice.

Right but correct me if I'm wrong but don't the power VRM's like those that power the CPU get their power from the 12volt rail on the psu?

Right but correct me if I'm wrong but don't the power VRM's like those that power the CPU get their power from the 12volt rail on the psu?

Yes - almost everything in a modern PC uses the 12v rail.