Supreme Court to Judge on Gaming

Dariuas

(continued from the main page article)

Heh, protests, demonstrations, mobs, petitions, people climbing on buildings and planes with banners.. at best all it'll do is get a small article in some newspaper. (not even front page, thats reserved for celeb scandals and sport) Were not allowed to even carry a knife longer then what 2 inches? never mind flipping Sniper rifles like you lot :P

Oh my, never knew it as that bad in other countries.......move to America no wait first Canada as its a great buffer then edge down to the great state of Minnesota :evilgrin: (though we have the dumbest "Representative" Michele Bachmann...so embarrassing)

I'm waiting for the day we annex Canada. :P:lol:

Anyways...

if video games caused violent or abnormal behavior in anyone who played it, we'd all be tripping out on mushrooms, slamming our heads into random bricks that hover in the air, and trying to eat flowers in order to shoot fireballs from our fingers.

Anyone who thinks video games cause crazy behavior is just forgetting their childhood and what an imagination is. Video games are an escape from whatever we want for a few hours at a time. Lousy job? Go play Call of Duty for a bit and take it out on online avatars. In-laws visit for a week? See the escape for lousy job. Sure, it may be different than using our imagination to get away from stress/anger/boredom, but aren't video games created from the imaginations of the designers?

I don't know about you guys, but I play video games to help me unwind after a long day. Some people read books, others watch movies, some draw, but I play video games. There is almost nothing better than to lose yourself in a video game for a few hours and just get drawn into its world and believe you are making a difference for the characters in it.

I'd have to agree with you for the most part, I wouldn't say I use videos an escape all the time but I do play them all the time, much more than anyone should. You're right though, most people use them as an escape just like a book or a movie.

Amen brother. You pretty much said what I was thinking.

Always those right wing nutjobs blaming music movies and video games for our societies problems. They really need to start pointing fingers at the real problem theses kids's parents, maybe if parents actually watched their kids instead of making the television into a babysitter they would know that their kid has problems and if they would actually help them with their problems instead of making them worse these things would not happen, but no the parents insist that it was the Eminem cd that made their kid burn down the house next door, or Home Alone for their kid throwing bricks at and killing his friend, why we are at it lets blame the Mars corporation for rotting our teeth, and Wal-Mart for selling the air duster that our kid overdosed on, or Budweiser for the drunk driver that killed someone. I could go on but I think you see my point.

I'd say slick is exactly right. Now I'm no expert on how to raise a kid or anything but I can say that from seeing some of my own cousins growing up without parents around kind of turned them rotten, however some of my other cousins who did have their parents around a lot turned out better I'd say, point being that leaving a kid all alone with a tv or video game will probably leave some wrong impressions. That's just my experience though, I'm not saying it's a fact of life or anything.

Also, you forgot to mention how it's mcdonald's fault we get burned by their coffee. :P

LOL! Obviously this will never fly. I'm sure the judge has his PC at home and after each long day of putting bad guys behind bars, he sits down to enjoy a nice game pwning nubz in CSS.

There's really no way that video games are going to change.

I think that it's also important to have those kinds of games so that we are able to experience things that we wouldn't be able to without consequence in real life. What I think is going to happen if violent video games are banned is that violence in the real world will rise. (maybe we'll end up playing Fallout irl)

LOL! Obviously this will never fly. I'm sure the judge has his PC at home and after each long day of putting bad guys behind bars, he sits down to enjoy a nice game pwning nubz in CSS.

There's really no way that video games are going to change.

I think that it's also important to have those kinds of games so that we are able to experience things that we wouldn't be able to without consequence in real life. What I think is going to happen if violent video games are banned is that violence in the real world will rise. (maybe we'll end up playing Fallout irl)

I'm up for a round of Super Mutant hunting! :thumbsup:

Just going to quote him for my answers since he already explained what I would have said to that first question. :D

The idea that a game like GTA can cause people to be violent is pretty funny in my opinion seeing as how the locations that GTA games are based on are already known for their violence, if anything it's the real world that brings violence to video games, I mean games didn't come first, we made them long after violence occurred. That's just how I see it anyway, I've never felt video games make me a violent person.

:withstupid:

I'd have to agree with you on your point video games have always been an easy target for critics when some type of violent crime happens. What most people forget is video games don't turn most people violent unless of course they have some type of mental health issue which case might cause them to go over the edge and do something bad.

As for video game regulation I think things should be kept the way they are just keep putting a recommend playing age along with the type of content that is in the game and it then should be up to the parents or other people whether or not to decide if it's ok for children to play the game or not it shouldn't be the governments or some other type of regulation agency to decide if the game is too violent for the public to see.

I love that everyone has so much passion around this! Let me pose a few more questions

There is no doubt that violent video games exist, I've read GTA multiple times in these threads, and made mention of it in my article.

What about games that show grotesque and overly violent actions? Games such as such as JFK Reloaded which allows players to relive that fateful moment in history; or games such

as Postal, which is just a person running about with can's of gasoline lighting people on fire, and then putting them out with urine? Do these games belong on computers?

I love that everyone has so much passion around this! Let me pose a few more questions

There is no doubt that violent video games exist, I've read GTA multiple times in these threads, and made mention of it in my article.

What about games that show grotesque and overly violent actions? Games such as such as JFK Reloaded which allows players to relive that fateful moment in history; or games such

as Postal, which is just a person running about with can's of gasoline lighting people on fire, and then putting them out with urine? Do these games belong on computers?

I don't see why they should be taken off the market no one is forcing people to buy them and most games have ratings on them that tell what type of violence you'd see.

Lets look beyond just "crime" in the normal sense of cops versus robbers, or "street crime", or drug related "crime" so to speak. How about crime on a larger scale. How about crimes against humanity like genocide, wars, white collar crimes that wipe out people's entire life savings, terrorism etc. I'm sure the master minds behind "those" crimes all sit at home or work on their computers playing games where they gas jews, murder people from other tribes, or strap suicide bombs on their selves. Anyone that contends that violence in video games, movies or music leads to increased violence in the real world has been drinking too much of the koolaid.

Video games should be protected by freedom of speech and the inherent right to create "art" as you see fit. Sure video game "art" at it's core is designed to generate sales = revenue. But I still think it is an art.

Here in the United States we go through a lot of trouble trying to place blame for our behavior on everything except our own personal accountability. We have become a country of blame game, concession, consumption, contempt and greed.

Here in the United States we go through a lot of trouble trying to place blame for our behavior on everything except our own personal accountability. We have become a country of blame game, concession, consumption, contempt and greed.

+10

A very large amount of the population these days consists of idiots so naturally when something goes wrong, instead of taking responsibility they just behave like little 5 year old kids pulling the old "it wasn't me...honest, he did it" in this case the "he" is the games and then u just match. Violence in the world? Violent game's fault. Obesity? Games in general's fault.

Makes me sick.

No video games are not the root cause o the violence. It goes much deeper than a game. I do believe that games may bring to the surface what is inside but that doesn't mean they are the cause. While I would never let my kid play some games, I don't think the gov't should regulate them. It should be the parents regulating the games that their kids play. I'm more of a lets get the government out of our lives kind of person.

The regulations would never stop if we started being a nanny state regulating every little thing. Okay today we're going to regulate GTA (everyone agrees it pretty violent). Well I think we should regulate Need For Speed. Even though it's not violent, it encourages reckless driving which surely leads to kids driving fast and getting in wrecks and killing others.[/sarcasm] Where do you draw the line once you start?

More parent involvement in their kids lives, that is the answer to a lot of problems.

Don't censor my video games. The ESRB has a rating system for a reason, if the supreme court rules that I can't play Half-Life then I'm just gonna keep on playing it anyways. Eff the government.

Always those right wing nutjobs blaming music movies and video games for our societies problems.

Make no mistake - your enemy is not just limited to Republicans. The biggest advocator in banning video games was a Democrat - Joe Lieberman. The real enemy also isn't just limited to stupid senators, no matter what side of the fence they fall on. See below.

Exactly - I love my country with all my heart and its with that love that shows me its weaknesses. Most of the country used to take pride in themselves and take ownership for their faults, but the trend is moving away from that and increasingly moving toward Blame. Don't get me wrong - blame has always existed and scape goats is not a new term. But it does seem to be a growing trend of "Who can I place the blame of my own mistakes on to?"

Parents no longer want to let their kids go play (anywhere) outside till the street lights come on, let alone even in the frontyard. Then these same parents blame TV and Video Games for the world's faults and their kid's faults.

1 - What did you expect your kids to do while they're locked up in the house because you don't trust them to walk to the park?

2 - Ever consider human history is littered with violence LONG BEFORE tv and video games were even developed?

3 - Also consider that maybe you just fail as a parent? ...no wait! that can't be it, BLAME SOMEONE ELSE!

I in return blame the stupid whore who spilt coffee on herself and blamed McDonalds. I also blame our stupid Judicial system for agreeing with her ...even if they did reduce her winnings. Because it proved to everyone you can be a dumb duck (censored myself) and get paid for it if you're willing to place the blame on someone else.

EDIT:

Also agree with Flareback. Parents have the right to limit their kids to which games they play - they need to excercise that right. Also agree with the statement... "Where do you draw the line?"