New Sandy Bridge Extreme Core i7 3960X Reviewed

Bosco

or bigger waterblocks =D

Which is likely what people will use if they are going to spend $1000 on a cpu. But i wan't to see the behemoth air cooler which can use 12 heatpipes :biggrin:

I know I am likely putting a 3930k under water soon enough. I assume your new desk is going to house pretty much the same thing?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is likely what people will use if they are going to spend $1000 on a cpu. But i wan't to see the behemoth air cooler which can use 12 heatpipes :biggrin:

I know I am likely putting a 3930k under water soon enough. I assume your new desk is going to house pretty much the same thing?

yeah, a 3930k and at least 2-3 7970s

yeah, a 3930k and at least 2-3 7970s

I think I will be going the 2x 7990 rout instead of the tri or quad 7970s because it will be cheaper to set up with the watercooling loop.

I do hope that the 7xxx series does what the 5xxx series did to the 4xxx series and absolutely destroy it with effectively double the performance from the die shrink.

I think I will be going the 2x 7990 rout instead of the tri or quad 7970s because it will be cheaper to set up with the watercooling loop.

I do hope that the 7xxx series does what the 5xxx series did to the 4xxx series and absolutely destroy it with effectively double the performance from the die shrink.

depending on how soon the 7990 comes out will decide wether i do single or dual gpu cards. but imo 4 singles looks more impressive than 2 duals

depending on how soon the 7990 comes out will decide wether i do single or dual gpu cards. but imo 4 singles looks more impressive than 2 duals

Very true but the extra money may kill me with cost but I may go tri and eventually quad depending on how things look when 7990 and 7970 comparisons come along. I wont be getting a new gpu till quite late in 2012 so not too fussed. Still have my sli 560s to hold me over :happy:

Hows the desk progressing?

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how ivy bridge will perform against sandybridge. Which is out soon! The extreme sandybrdige chips are out almost 2 years later than westmere extreme chips. The perfomance gain is expected.

I believe the 3d ivybridge will be a better bargain than these.

Idont know if ivybridge extreme will be compatible with x79 mobo but P67 mobos will all for ivybridge upgrades making the 2600k chips a better deal from the getgo.