OCC Guide to Building an Home Theater PC

Nemo

I dunno....maybe I missed it....so just disregard if I did :blush: but I don't see anything about using HDMI as the source for audio. Since many mobo's and video cards now have this option shouldn't it be included?

Nice guide anyway B:)

I dunno....maybe I missed it....so just disregard if I did :blush: but I don't see anything about using HDMI as the source for audio. Since many mobo's and video cards now have this option shouldn't it be included?

I'm curious about this as well. A lot of boards (even entry-level) have HDMI on board now. If they also have sound onboard (most every one does), it'd be nice to integrate it into the HDMI. Do any boards do this?

Frank, do the on-board HDMI based motherboards allow this specifically? What I mean, is that some of the earlier ones don't from what I remember, but was there a point at which Nvidia/ATi used specific on-board GPUs that allowed this?

My HD3650 on my laptop for example, detects two speakers when I plug into my TV via HDMI and is automatic. Intel GMA based HDMI connections apparently don't output sound over HDMI.

Yeah, I'm specifically thinking of onboard video solutions. I'm pretty sure my next HTPC upgrade won't include a graphics card. Just onboard HDMI with either HDMI sound or optical sound. It'll reduce heat and noise plus reduce power consumption pretty significantly.

Well I've actually taken the plunge with a Western Digital HDMI TV 1080p box. It plays back everything I own, apart from DTS, which it outputs via optical instead of via HDMI. However, I'm going to convert DTS audio into AC3 to maintain 5.1 surround, rather than use a receiver to decode.

It's similar to Popcorn Hour I suppose. You just plug in an external hard disk into one of the two USB ports and away you go. It makes my need for an HTPC seem mad in comparison, and is about

Well I've actually taken the plunge with a Western Digital HDMI TV 1080p box. It plays back everything I own, apart from DTS, which it outputs via optical instead of via HDMI. However, I'm going to convert DTS audio into AC3 to maintain 5.1 surround, rather than use a receiver to decode.

That little black box? Those things are cool as hell! There are hacked firmwares out there that allow network streaming as well. :)

It sure is one of those :) You can get them over there for $99.99 apparently, and they really do seem to be able to play almost everything other than the whole DTS lark (licensing apparently). It arrives tomorrow, so should be able to report back soon!

wdtv-1.jpg