FX-8350 @ 4.7GHz - OCCT Question

TRWeiss1

Hmmmm, so I wonder what the hell is going on with my water cooler then? Should be keeping it colder than that since some claim to be running at 5.2 and seeing 70 deg C! Supposedly they come prefilled with water so I just installed it, made the connections, and powered everything up. How can I tell if the pump is running, and if it's cooling as it should? I've got the Thermaltake Water2.0 Performer.

In general you have to take all reported results from users with a grain of salt. Most of them either aren't loading their system down much, have modified fans, or run a stupidly low ambient temperature (or a combination of the above).

400+ watts of power consumption through your CPU is going to create a lot of heat and even with full watercooling you'll see pretty high temps when putting the screws to a 4-module Zambezi.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^Those are EXCELLENT points guys, and very valid. My downstairs is EXTREMELY warm, as I run an air source heat pump (Mitsubishi Mr. Slim). I run it hard in the winter so that the heat makes its way upstairs, so the ambient temp is pretty warm downstairs... Probably 80 degrees, or even slightly higher.

I did pull the water block, remove all the thermal paste, and carefully reapply AS5 to the processor. I even got curious and used ASUS' little "Autotune" utility, where they do the overclock for you. It put my system to 4.55GHz, which I know it's capable of more than that. I'm sure that utility is just playing it extremely safe, as to not fry anything. ;)

Now, here's the other thing I think about... OCCT is a nice "worst case scenario" tool, but it's not realistic. I mean really, WHEN are you going to have every core loaded down 99-100% for an extended period of time? More and more I'm considering a different approach. I'm thinking of just hooking up my other monitor, and having all of my temp graphs up while doing some hardcore gaming. Then, I can find out when/where everything plateaus... If I get a system crash, I'll investigate. However, if it turns out my system is 100% stable, nothing is getting into the danger zone as far as temps, and the CPU isn't throttling down, I don't really care if I can run OCCT. :P lol

Edited by TRWeiss1

in my humble opinion, I have OC'd alot of the 8150's, 8120's, and now the 8350. A H-100, Silver arrow, Noctua DH-14 or the like, will get you to around 4.7+/- (depending on chip and how much it 'leaks') above that you are going to want a bespoke WC'ing setup that is around the equivalent of a 45-50mm x 360mm rad to keep it withing the 62c thermal under load (assuming your ambient is within a range of 20-26c.)

Ok guys, another question. How fast should I be running my NB, and at what voltage? Also, what about the HT? Right now I'm on 202 x 24 multi (4.86 GHz) w/ 1.48v for Vcore. I get random lock ups after about 45 minutes of gaming (or so), and I'm pretty positive they don't have to do with heat. CPU is sitting around 52-54 deg C while gaming, and mobo temp doesn't go over 34 deg C (according to the ASUS utility, although I'm not sure which sensor its getting this data from). Furthermore, I just got my first BSOD .... Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I'm guessing that's gotta be related to the OC, and wondered what was causing it. I doubt it's related to bad hardware or drivers, but I suppose it's possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

You will likely find that you can run your HT at 2600, and the NB at 2400 on stock or little voltage added.

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. can be caused by a lot of things, OC included.

Thanks Red... I must have been reading your mind, because shortly after I made that post I thought about it, then put my NB @ 2400 w/ 1.3v. :P I also put my HT at 2400 as well... Think I should set it to 2600? No more lock ups with the changes I made, and we did a solid 2 hrs of gaming. I wonder if that's what it was? I know it's absolutely possible, considering you generally need to run the NB faster when you OC the CPU... Always hard to know if you nailed the problem though, since lock ups can be infrequent and sporadic. I will keep you posted! Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

Thanks Red... I must have been reading your mind, because shortly after I made that post I thought about it, then put my NB @ 2400 w/ 1.3v. :P I also put my HT at 2400 as well... Think I should set it to 2600? No more lock ups with the changes I made, and we did a solid 2 hrs of gaming. I wonder if that's what it was? I know it's absolutely possible, considering you generally need to run the NB faster when you OC the CPU... Always hard to know if you nailed the problem though, since lock ups can be infrequent and sporadic. I will keep you posted! Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

The HT has been known to be touchy above stock but 2600 with the 83XX's has been stable. You wont see a big performance jump though from 2400 to 2600 except in benchmarks. Glad it's up and running :thumbsup: let me know how it's going, I have been playing with the 8350 for 2-1/2 months now so if you run into problems holler.

Oh, one last thing regarding Vcore... If set too low, will too low of a Vcore voltage ONLY prevent getting into Windows, or can/will it cause lock ups once gaming? The reason I ask is because I can get into Windows with a lower Vcore than I'm running right now, and am wondering if I should set it lower. Obviously you want the lowest voltage to create the least amount of heat, but enough to have stability. I'm at 1.48v right now, but can get into Windows @ 1.46v. Should I keep going down, or call it good since I seem to have stability right now?

It absolutely will lock you up at any point. It locks up during gaming because of higher CPU load. if you are locking up during gaming you need a bit more Vcore. Assuming you are cooling sufficiently, put it back to 1.48v and run a stability test, and go from there. If you dont get it 'test' stable, you will always have random lockups, BSOD's etc . In other words: you need to be more than 'boot' stable to avoid problems.

Thanks red. I did just get another lock up. No BSOD, just a total system freeze. Mobo temp was @ 34 deg C, CPU temp @ 55 deg C. I bumped up my Vcore to 1.50v, and we'll see what it does there. Furthermore, I noticed that it was running my RAM at 1333, even though the RAM is rated at 1866. I bumped it up to 1866, and up from 1.5v to 1.6v. Does this sound reasonable? I'm not sure how DDR3 is rated, but I know that DDR2-xxx ran at half the speed it was rated for, and the number xxx was its max theoretical speed. Having said that, Idk if my RAM's max theoretical speed is 1866, or if it could (or should) go higher with this overclock. Please advise. :) Lastly, what would be the highest temp you'd be comfortable seeing on your CPU? I've read that 62 is the hottest you'd want to see for the 8350...

Edited by TRWeiss1