HELP!

I already tried to flash the firmware, but it was already setup with the latest firsmare, I already tried physically adding his laptop to the router under the router settings, and lastly I already setup the wireless under 192.168.1.1 .

I setup WPA and made sure his laptop would connect. This is seriously screwy. I had the guy call asus support. Maybe a good old fashion RMA will solve his issues? :dunno:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally the .1 would be the router IP not a client IP.

Well the 198.168.1.2 was already configured and in pretty decent shape. I do not like to mess around with that page too much, but there weren't any issues with it, and all the items that would be of use on that page were under the 1.1 under the internet protection category :dunno:

The only thing I can sort of guess at, is that i know he tried to set this thing up once before. Even though I don't see any evidence of it, he could have set a user name and password up wrong. The only reason I would guess that is because if we try to connect via wifi, it does not ask his for a password even when WPA is active. It is possible that he could have set up an automatic password activator and the password is basically wrong. Even still though, when I set the router back to factory default, it would have resolved that issue.

I am lost, can't you tell? :lol:

:lol: If you're connected and getting an IP from the router then WPA is working properly. What IP is he getting handed out by the router when connected over wireless? Can he see any machines on the LAN? If LAN works but Internet access does not you've got something messed up somewhere. :P

have you fixed this yet?

as I've got a friend who has just got her offices renovated and me and my dad wired the whole house up with ethernet...now her laptop won't connect to the internet, and one of her friends laptop won't connect to the internet...she has an asus(can't remember the model, but it has a i3 2.26ghz, 4gb ram, win 7 etc.) and it won't connect properly...the little computer with the triangle warning sign..

tried google's remedies...none of them seem to work

Try using google's DNS for the client, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. This should allow you to see if the router is really working as a gateway, just not using DNS properly.

Could also try using googles DNS for the DNS server of the router itself as well.

Can you confirm DHCP is atleast working? Like upon connecting to the wireless you are getting a 192.168.x.x address, and not a 169.154.x.x right? If you are getting an APIPA address(169.154.x.x) then the DHCP on the router is not working.

No, I am waiting for asus to write back to me. According to them it is a driver issue (how I do not know) .

Why can't you answer our questions in the meantime? :lol:

Why can't you answer our questions in the meantime? :lol:

Because I am 100 miles away from the router, and the guy I am asking to look this stuff up has no idea what he is doing. If I were looking at the thing, then i could probably do a better job. But it is literally a matter of being a phone tech support agent with your help.

Second, I do not understand what you mean by what is the router IP. I am not a networking fan by any stretch of the imagination, and this is the first time i have had to do anything beyond turning on a router and making sure the ethernet is connected properly.

I really am at MASSIVE disadvantage here.

The router/gateway IP is the IP address of the router (so you can log into the management interface). The client IP is the IP address that his machine gets via the wireless connection. It should be 192.168.x.x or something similar. If it's 169.254.x.x then DHCP on the router isn't configured properly. If you do get a valid IP address over the wireless the next thing to do is to set up the DNS manually on the computer to point to either OpenDNS servers or Google's DNS servers.

If that fails...something else is the matter. If that works, it means the DNS on the router is configured improperly.

The router/gateway IP is the IP address of the router (so you can log into the management interface). The client IP is the IP address that his machine gets via the wireless connection. It should be 192.168.x.x or something similar. If it's 169.254.x.x then DHCP on the router isn't configured properly. If you do get a valid IP address over the wireless the next thing to do is to set up the DNS manually on the computer to point to either OpenDNS servers or Google's DNS servers.

If that fails...something else is the matter. If that works, it means the DNS on the router is configured improperly.

OHHHHHHHHH, then yes it is a valid 192.168.1.1 . I thought you were talking about something wayyyyyy too advanced for me at this point.

I haven't tried google's DNS page yet. Right now I can't get a hold of this guy though (I think his battery died).

Out of curiosity, how many times have you guys done unpaid PC repair "favors", told yourself you would never do that again without asking for cash, and then find yourself doing favors for people yet again? Maybe this would be a fun poll?

OHHHHHHHHH, then yes it is a valid 192.168.1.1 . I thought you were talking about something wayyyyyy too advanced for me at this point.

I haven't tried google's DNS page yet. Right now I can't get a hold of this guy though (I think his battery died).

Out of curiosity, how many times have you guys done unpaid PC repair "favors", told yourself you would never do that again without asking for cash, and then find yourself doing favors for people yet again? Maybe this would be a fun poll?

Err hundreds of thousands of times(exaggeration of course)....

So have you been able to get em to see if other PC's could connect to the router? You should also try one of the simplest tricks in the book if its not the routers fault.

Go to command prompt(run as admin), then type in Ipconfig/flushdns then type in Ipconfig/registerdns.

You could also try the Ipconfig/release and Ipconfig/renew