XFX and Sapphire 7770 Reviewed

Bosco

What do you mean? The 5770 was slower than the 4870 and cost more...but it used far less power and supported DX11.

The 5770 and 4870 were almost identical on performance, like you sd the difference was heat, power, and DX11 ;) Also the 5770 in CF scaled much better than the 4870 CF, I had both setups. I think he was saying the the 5770 was such a BA mid-range card at the time and extremely popular, that he was hoping this release would prove to be the same. But, like Airman sd, def not a rebrand!

Thank you speedway! :cheers:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 5770 and 4870 were almost identical on performance, like you sd the difference was heat, power, and DX11 ;) Also the 5770 in CF scaled much better than the 4870 CF, I had both setups. I think he was saying the the 5770 was such a BA mid-range card at the time and extremely popular, that he was hoping this release would prove to be the same. But, like Airman sd, def not a rebrand!

The Crossfire scaling is identical with newer drivers though. :)

This is true, but even now with the newest drivers, I would be surprised if 2 4870's in CF could beat 2 5770's in CF ;) I think it maybe a similar to the 5870 vs 6870, the 5870 alone is faster, but in CF the 6870's will win! I loved both setups, don't get me wrong. But, those 5770's in CF, when they 1st came out were nothing short of impressive to me and I still like that setup. They were once on the very top of the price to performance ratio charts! I used to love saying my 5770's can beat your 5870 and I paid less :P

This is true, but even now with the newest drivers, I would be surprised if 2 4870's in CF could beat 2 5770's in CF ;)

I wouldn't. The same optimizations apply to both cards equally. :P

I'm pretty sure the Crossfire scaling between the two of them should be identical.

That's going to be your reply for everything comparing the different cards. :lol:

The HD 7770s are nice, but, I think I'll wait to see what the HD 7870s are like.

I think this card is a low performer compared to other 7 series cards.

Nice review BTW.

With the 7770 nearly beating the 6850 at all fronts...I'm pretty sure I'd say that's a pretty good improvement (at least with regards to the product positioning). It beats the pants off of the 6770.

Before going through the review I have expected that 7770 can beat 6850 or even 6870. May be my expectation was too high to think of. At least one can hope for this 28nm fabrication would beat 40nm fabrication comprehensively. Isn't it? ;)