NVIDIA GTX 680 Reviewed

Bosco

Just got done reading, Wow the fastest card and the most efficient? Nice! Also AMD needs to lower there prices now that the 680 is priced at 499, cheaper then the 7970 which is slower. The 2GB ram does concern me though.

Edited by Black64

I'd like to know 1 thing why in this review the GTX680 completely overwhelms the HD7970 and in all the other reviews I see on the internet (I've compared like 3-4 of them yet) the HD7970 comes out way over GTX680?

Thank you

I'd like to know 1 thing why in this review the GTX680 completely overwhelms the HD7970 and in all the other reviews I see on the internet (I've compared like 3-4 of them yet) the HD7970 comes out way over GTX680?

Thank you

Umm... what reviews are you looking at :blink:

I have not seen any reviews where the 7970 has come out over the GTX 680. At best, there are a few reviews that show they are equally matched in a few tests. The 7970 does have some advantage at very high resolutions & with AA because of the higher memory bandwidth and the 3GB framebuffer, but not by too much. In general the GTX 680 is faster.

You can look at the Guru3d review for another reference, they are my other most trusted review source. They had similar results.

Edited by 90sgamer

Thank you

I'd like to see these reviews where the HD7970 "comes way out over the GTX 680"!!

We did notice that with the 12.3 Catalyst drivers, the performance from the AMD cards went down and I think this is the major contributor. Most other reviews seem to be using Catalyst 12.1 or 12.2, some even the beta 8.95.5. Keep in mind that some sites also may not use similar setups to our own. We ran the tests with our 2600k's at 4.4ghz and memory at 1866MHz. I noticed a very large gain going from 1600MHz memory to 1866MHz memory. Additionally, make sure you're comparing the same resolutions as well. A lot of sites still run high single-monitor resolutions like 2650x1600, where AMD is going to catch up or pull ahead.

With the exceptions of only a few articles I've read, the GTX 680 performance is on average 10% or better in 1920 resolutions.