NZXT Bunker USB Lock System Tested (and Defeated!)

Nemo

Yeah. I have not seen that award in a while but its there. It may have been called something else back in the day. I look at the post amd I have to give drier to the manufacture for a good idea. But ay the same time it does not do what its spouse to.

And from what I have seem and heard remember this is a very unbiased site so this award can and will be given out.

After reading over my review again and your responses, I'd like to make it clear that even although I don't have a particular use for the Bunker, and I think protection against thievery only shows how disgusting humans can be (that's for another discussion...), the idea behind the introduction of the Bunker is clear. I also understand that some people might believe that something like the Bunker would be a useful addition to their peripheral's security. I'm not bashing the intent of the Bunker, only the construction of the lock. Were the lock not so easy to remove, or perhaps not removable at all, I would totally recommend it for anyone that could take advantage of it, but, because the lock is so easy to remove, I can't recommend it; I knock its construction, not its purpose.

I would also like to point out that I made a slight error, in that simply opening the facade of the Bunker without removing the lock does not allow the release of any connected cables, as the door would still be closed. It does, however, make it much easier, and sometimes possible, to unplug any connected cables. What that does do is allow any cables connected to be maneuvered in such a way as to facilitate the cutting and splicing of the cables, and, as can be seen in the photo, makes accessing the lock assembly, that can be removed with a pair of pliers, even easier.

And once again, I welcome NZXT to fix the issue with the lock assembly, and, I add that if they would like to send me one of these fixed units, I will certainly re-review the functionality of the Bunker. Until then...

:cheers:

It also seems as if something that had a stiff enough cord would just be snaked in and out (for peripherals) and it seems like a long necked pair of needle nose would unplug anything in there through the cord slot.

If the thief is too stupid to pry the weak locking mechanism open he will simply take the whole computer. I think a locked cabinet would be much more effective.

+1

But it is still a decent idea for the circumstances indicated.