Laptop Screen Backlight type?

Ok I have a friend who has someone cracked the screen on her laptop ( won't tell me how *sigh*) anyways, I offered to install a new if she bought one.....

I have now been allocated the job of finding the new screen for her *sigh* but I have come across a problem... I don't know what type of backlight her laptop screen has.

CCFL 1-Bulb seems to be the most common one I'm commeing across but I don't want her to order it if its the wrong screen.... Could anyone please tell me how to find out what type of backlight a laptop is useing?

Yes I have tried google and all I could find was threads on random forums from people asking how to fix there laptops. :(

Ok I have a friend who has someone cracked the screen on her laptop ( won't tell me how *sigh*) anyways, I offered to install a new if she bought one.....

I have now been allocated the job of finding the new screen for her *sigh* but I have come across a problem... I don't know what type of backlight her laptop screen has.

CCFL 1-Bulb seems to be the most common one I'm commeing across but I don't want her to order it if its the wrong screen.... Could anyone please tell me how to find out what type of backlight a laptop is useing?

Yes I have tried google and all I could find was threads on random forums from people asking how to fix there laptops. :(

The only way to know for sure is to remove the LCD panel from the laptop, remove the back cover of the panel and check to see how many backlights are there. But really what you should be more concerned about is finding a panel that fits the existing lid. The easiest way to get this repaired is attempt to find the entire lid/screen assembly from one of the businesses that "parts" out laptop components. The replacement will be a lot less expensive than a new panel, and the repair a lot less headache for you.

If you can give me the make and model of the laptop I'll help you look.

Regards,

The only way to know for sure is to remove the LCD panel from the laptop, remove the back cover of the panel and check to see how many backlights are there. But really what you should be more concerned about is finding a panel that fits the existing lid. The easiest way to get this repaired is attempt to find the entire lid/screen assembly from one of the businesses that "parts" out laptop components. The replacement will be a lot less expensive than a new panel, and the repair a lot less headache for you.

If you can give me the make and model of the laptop I'll help you look.

Regards,

That would help me out alot but the problem is which is really starting to piss me off, she won't let me look at the laptop for some annoying reason (something to do with, she thinks the screen is to fragile at the moment and that it would break completley if I removed it.... *sigh*) al I know is that its a compaq nc6220, if thats enough imformation then I would be forever gratefull for oyur help but Im not entireley sure it is...

That would help me out alot but the problem is which is really starting to piss me off, she won't let me look at the laptop for some annoying reason (something to do with, she thinks the screen is to fragile at the moment and that it would break completley if I removed it.... *sigh*) al I know is that its a compaq nc6220, if thats enough imformation then I would be forever gratefull for oyur help but Im not entireley sure it is...

Doesn't sound like she wants to help out much considering she is asking YOU to do the repair.......

Anyway, that model was built with the two following panels;

14.1-inch, SXGA, TFT Part Number 379793-001

14.1-inch, XGA, TFT Part Number 379792-001

Only difference between the two is resolution.

A google search using the laptop model number+replacement lcd screen+part numbers I provided should point you in the direction of finding a store that will supply or ship to your country.

Here is a link to the service manual - it will help you with the disassembly, replacement and reassembly procedure.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/...0/c00622160.pdf

Regards,

The place I usually go to when I need laptop parts is ebay, can usually find replacement keyboards, touchpads, LCDs, etc. for any laptop. Searching with the info you gave me plus "lcd" (compaq nc6220 lcd) gave me quite a few results. Hope this helps, I know not everyone out there is comfortable with ebay though.

Edited by Deathmineral

Doesn't sound like she wants to help out much considering she is asking YOU to do the repair.......

I offered to do the repaid because I enjoy fixing laptops and computers but I expected a bit more information about the screen....

The place I usually go to when I need laptop parts is ebay, can usually find replacement keyboards, touchpads, LCDs, etc. for any laptop. Searching with the info you gave me plus "lcd" (compaq nc6220 lcd) gave me quite a few results. Hope this helps, I know not everyone out there is comfortable with ebay though.

Im the same as you I would generally go to EBAY for replacement parts but considering its not my money which is being spent and she's not comfortable about ordering stuff off ebay, I could try again though :P I kinda just want to get this over with now...

I've ordered everything from hdd, lids, screens and even motherboards off ebay for laptop repairs and I've been very lucky (knock on wood). So far everything has worked a treat. Using just good old common sense. Use a Preferred Seller if possible. Watch the reseller ratings etc. She doesn't have to know where you got the screen...........

Good luck.

Dang, it kind of does sound like too much trouble to me, if it was me, I mean I love working on laptops more than any other kind of electronic but that's one job I would pass on personally.

Actually though, you might want to do your best to convince her with ebay because after some googling and yahooing for that matter I came across quite a few sites that had the display for sale, most of them were selling for $100 -$150, and to me that seems a little high. However, this site looked kind of legit compared to the others, and I love the color orange so it pretty easily won me over.

Yep, at this point my patience would have already ran out. Tell her if she wants you to do the work, to let you handle it and butt out. Otherwise she can take it to a "real" repair shop and get ready for a $500 repair bill.

Normally I would agree with you all about the whole just letting it go and not worrying about it, but the reason I offered to repair it in the first place is because 1. It would cost her something like $500 to get it repaired at one of the local repair stores and 2. Her family is poor (not poverty poor) but she has to constantly loan money out to her parents...(note im 17 and she's 16)