Help is kids gaming rig

nemo74

Well, if you're not getting the K sku, I'd say better get the 2400 :)

Also, I'd recommend you to get the NZXT Source 210 Elite + 120mm case fans. This should help you save some money since you're saving $20 on the case and you'd still have to fill the storm scout with fans anyways. You can get a great fan with high airflow 120mm like the Cougar Vortex for $16.99 or get some Coolermaster 120mm fans for $8

Other then that, you're set and ready to have a long weekend :P

:withstupid:

Vandreadstriker's tweaks will help you get a bit more edge, but honestly it is very solid build and you will be happy with your current plan.

Either way post the pics, and don't forget to snap some of your girl when she sees it (those be for you).

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you're not getting the K sku, I'd say better get the 2400 :)

Also, I'd recommend you to get the NZXT Source 210 Elite + 120mm case fans. This should help you save some money since you're saving $20 on the case and you'd still have to fill the storm scout with fans anyways. You can get a great fan with high airflow 120mm like the Cougar Vortex for $16.99 or get some Coolermaster 120mm fans for $8

Other then that, you're set and ready to have a long weekend :P

I agree with this. The rest of your build is all good and good choice on the PSU. Even though the 7850 and the rest of your rig doesn't need more than a 500 W PSU you can buy a second 7850 in the far future on ebay or perhaps even here on OCC (I'm talking 2 - 3 years from now if you feel you need a little more video juice for your system) and Crossfire it and still have a great gaming rig then ( though i just saw the mobo you picked - I suggest you get a mobo that supports Crossfire from the money you'd be saving with vanreadstriker's suggestion -- or if you don't want to crossfire a second card, then you can go ahead and buy a cheaper PSU since 750 is just overkill for that system)

So consequently here's what i suggest:

1. If you wish to crossfire in the future - that PSU will handle 2x7850 easy but you'll need a new mobo - here's my suggestion:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

It has 2 PCI-E 3.0 slots and also has great features such as USB 3.0 and such and the pricing isn't that steep 121$ (the extra $$ should be covered if you stick to vandreadstriker's suggestion and you will even out at the same price with the parts you chose)

2.If you don't want to crossfire then you can stick to your mobo and you can buy a cheaper PSU and save a few bucks; something along the line of:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

this one is on sale and it's 49.99 after rebate ( I have no idea what rebate is but if it lets you get the PSU cheaper then cool :teehee: )

I agree with this. The rest of your build is all good and good choice on the PSU. Even though the 7850 and the rest of your rig doesn't need more than a 500 W PSU you can buy a second 7850 in the far future on ebay or perhaps even here on OCC (I'm talking 2 - 3 years from now if you feel you need a little more video juice for your system) and Crossfire it and still have a great gaming rig then ( though i just saw the mobo you picked - I suggest you get a mobo that supports Crossfire from the money you'd be saving with vanreadstriker's suggestion -- or if you don't want to crossfire a second card, then you can go ahead and buy a cheaper PSU since 750 is just overkill for that system)

So consequently here's what i suggest:

1. If you wish to crossfire in the future - that PSU will handle 2x7850 easy but you'll need a new mobo - here's my suggestion:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

It has 2 PCI-E 3.0 slots and also has great features such as USB 3.0 and such and the pricing isn't that steep 121$ (the extra $$ should be covered if you stick to vandreadstriker's suggestion and you will even out at the same price with the parts you chose)

2.If you don't want to crossfire then you can stick to your mobo and you can buy a cheaper PSU and save a few bucks; something along the line of:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

this one is on sale and it's 49.99 after rebate ( I have no idea what rebate is but if it lets you get the PSU cheaper then cool :teehee: )

I will be swappin my MOBO for the one you mentioned!

Hello everyone and THANK YOU so much for all your help! I have crunched some numbers and did tons of reading and I think below is my newest build idea....I'm kind of jealeous of this vs my rig :)

Cases - COOLER MASTER Storm Scout $69.99 OR I may get a nice deal on an Antec 1100 $20+Shipping

graphics - SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 $249.99

PSU - PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W $99.99

Ram - G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB DDR3 1600 $44.99

Mobo - ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 $104.99

CPU - i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz $209.99

OS - Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM $139.99

HD - Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB SATA III (SSD) $124.99

dvd - ASUS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner OEM $19.99

Total with shipping = $1,070.94 And I'll get $20 rebate. This is a few hundred more than I wanted to spend, but my daughter does great in school even while gaming so why not spend a little more for a rig that will last her years :thumbsup:

If no one has any better things to swap out to save money I'll prob get this over this today or over the weekend! :woo:

Awesome build, however on the OS just get Home Premium, there is not enough difference for the cost unless there is a specific need, not likely on a game system. Was looking at the PSU to see if we could save you some but for the money that is a SOLID buy! Oh as others have suggested, drop to the 2400, better value. Change the OS to Home Premium and drop to an i5 2400 and you are SOLID!!!!! This will be a freaking brute for what you are wanting.

• 1 month later...

I think he's probably gonna use it for himself :lol:

UPDATE:::

So with the IB coming and I saved some more cash for the build I wanted to share what I am building for my daughter, My computer works great, and I did get myself a small upgrade which I'll point out in the list below:

She is getting:

Antec 1100 Case

ASRock Z77 Extreme6

i5-3570K

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 2GB

Mushkin 120GB SATA III SSD

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb

ASUS 24X SATA DVD Burner

PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

And the small upgrade to my rig in my sig:

OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB SATA II SSD

So, I want to say thanks to the forum for your advice and help in getting this built! Any comment or errors I may have made are still appreciated!