PlayStation 4 (PS4)

Fogel

The x86 architecture is a huge step up. Will make consoles games easier to make and console ports (you know this will happen) easier to port.

We lose backwards compatibility due to this, but in reality, I probably played 3 PS2 games on my 60GB PS3 so it's not a big deal at all.

I'll bet that within two months of release someone has hacked the PS4 and installed a software emulator so they can play the older games. I'm sure Sony could do the same or even install a chip to do it, but that would then compete with their game streaming service, so they won't do that. After all, console games are developed and first tested on PCs.

Completely disagree. Though the games are developed on the PC, the cell architecture is very different than x86 and won't be so easy to emulate. That's the benefit of a service like Gakai, as it doesn't have to be processed on the PS4.

Completely disagree. Though the games are developed on the PC, the cell architecture is very different than x86 and won't be so easy to emulate. That's the benefit of a service like Gakai, as it doesn't have to be processed on the PS4.

Precisely. So long as there is a logical way to stream the older games, I'm cool with no native backwards compatibility.

Added some more information to the article. 

The exact AMD processor isn't mentioned, though it'll be a "Jaguar" APU with a combined CPU and GPU on the same die.

The touchpad is of the capacitive variety and can be clicked like a giant button...

The PS4 does have a Blu-ray drive, 802.11b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1, HDMI out, Analog-AV, and optical out. USB 3.0 ports are also available, as well as an AUX port, though its exact use is unknown. Below are some pictures of the DualShock 4 from various angles, plus the new Eye camera for the system. It's listed as having a 1280x800 sensor capable of 60fps video capture.

i just hope the games are running native 60fps, i dont care about the resolution, this gen was all about framerate drops and i hate those >:C

30fps is also cool, but then a frameratedrop is way more notable then lets say 60 to 50fps.

plus i hope the ''console ports'' wont eat out all of my resources, that 170gb bandwith on a console is a pretty nice bonus but my gtx 480 only has 200gb, so i hope they optimise it goo i dont wanna upgrade just yet :C

I'll bet that within two months of release someone has hacked the PS4 and installed a software emulator so they can play the older games. I'm sure Sony could do the same or even install a chip to do it, but that would then compete with their game streaming service, so they won't do that. After all, console games are developed and first tested on PCs.

Never said it would be easy, just that it is possible and someone will figure it out. Also, I'm not sure how you can be certain it will not be easy when they must already be doing it as part of development. I actually just Googled 'emulate playstation 3' and the second link is for a page to download an unofficial emulator. It may not be a perfect emulator, but someone will figure out how to get it or another emulator on the PS4.

Added some more information to the article. 

The exact AMD processor isn't mentioned, though it'll be a "Jaguar" APU with a combined CPU and GPU on the same die.

The touchpad is of the capacitive variety and can be clicked like a giant button...

The PS4 does have a Blu-ray drive, 802.11b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1, HDMI out, Analog-AV, and optical out. USB 3.0 ports are also available, as well as an AUX port, though its exact use is unknown. Below are some pictures of the DualShock 4 from various angles, plus the new Eye camera for the system. It's listed as having a 1280x800 sensor capable of 60fps video capture.

That's good to hear about the Blu-ray drive. When they didn't show the physical console, of course some conspiracy theorists were saying, "OMG, they didn't want to show it because it's not going to have an optical drive, it's going to be all-digital!"

Never said it would be easy, just that it is possible and someone will figure it out. Also, I'm not sure how you can be certain it will not be easy when they must already be doing it as part of development. I actually just Googled 'emulate playstation 3' and the second link is for a page to download an unofficial emulator. It may not be a perfect emulator, but someone will figure out how to get it or another emulator on the PS4.

I assume you're talking about rpcs3. Did you actually read up on it? It's supposed to help PS3-programmers with debugging, but it doesn't actually allow you to play any PS3 games in any playable state. Yeah, they say they'd love it to play games, but it hasn't been updated in months. Like I said, the architecture is just extremely different and is not something that can be easily emulated unlike the days of yore when you had multiple console emulation options, all of which worked to varying degrees.

I think as long as they allow users to stream their digital PS3 games for free, people will be okay with that. They can keep their PS3 around for the physical games if they so choose. It's possible Sony introduces a conversion process for a cost, but for the PSP-to-Vita, they only offered that service in Japan, so who knows.

Do does it have a similar service to Xbox Live? I read rumours that it does :/

As in $60 a year just to be able to do anything online? Haven't heard anything yet. It does have Gaikai, built-in Remote Play for everything, and plenty more.

Yeah there are rumours about that. I don't care for streaming to be honest, latency is terrible. I just want a console that I can play games on with friends and no additional crap that slows it down to be honest

I wanted to see the physical design of the console :( Will it be big and bulky like the older consoles or will they start with a system comparable in size to the current slim models?

Well they need some wiggle room to sell a new slim version after a year or two ;)