8.1 upgrade?

Gremlin

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classic Shell messes with too many things, in my opinion. The 8.1 menu is totally different than a start menu, and it's pretty cool.  As far as start menus buttons go though, I prefer Start8 because it's basically just shortcuts.  But, right clicking on the 8.1 start button accesses most of those anyway.  If have purchased Start8 though, since I wanted a go between while learning the new OS.  I talked to Stardock, and there is a beta for 8.1 that works for it if you still want to use it.  My issue is that I'm getting the watermark at the bottom right corner telling me that SecureBoot isn't setup correctly.  Most fixes I found say to go to the UEFI BIOS and enable it, or reset the BIOS, but considering that I have no idea how to do anything in a UEFI BIOS, let alone how to access it, I've left it for now.  There were some other fixes.  But I just installed it today, I so I haven't dug into it yet.  I have a pre-built HP 23-f254 and I don't even know how to access any of that stuff.   I sent them a support ticket.  If any of you know what to do, that would be great.

Classic Shell messes with too many things, in my opinion. The 8.1 menu is totally different than a start menu, and it's pretty cool.  As far as start menus buttons go though, I prefer Start8 because it's basically just shortcuts.  But, right clicking on the 8.1 start button accesses most of those anyway.  If have purchased Start8 though, since I wanted a go between while learning the new OS.

What do you mean messes with too many things?? It certainly doesn't mess with my wallet :lol:

Classic Shell messes with too many things, in my opinion. The 8.1 menu is totally different than a start menu, and it's pretty cool.  As far as start menus buttons go though, I prefer Start8 because it's basically just shortcuts.  But, right clicking on the 8.1 start button accesses most of those anyway.  If have purchased Start8 though, since I wanted a go between while learning the new OS.

What do you mean messes with too many things?? It certainly doesn't mess with my wallet :lol:

^^

Truf!

Without starting a new topic I wanted to see if any of you had noticed, otr if I'm just missing something.  Was Windows 7 File Recovery removed with the 8.1 upgrade?  I totally used that over File History.  I know there are other ways to accomplish the same thing, but I really liked Win7 File Recovery as it was maintained in Win 8.  Any suggestions for a replacement with a built-in feature, or should I use my Nero BackItUp 12?

EDIT:  Confirmed, it has been removed with no replacement better than System Restore and File History built-in.  I found the info here:  http://www.howtogeek.com/167610/8-features-microsoft-removed-in-windows-8.1/

Edited by kendellrt

So anyone who has purchased windows 8 pro from Windows.com when it was $40, have been able to update to 8.1?? Thanks

If you purchased Windows 8 you get 8.1 as a free update through the Windows Store.  Wndows 8 Enterprise is a different situation.  I had to install 8.1 from disk over 8.0 as an upgrade which is absolutlely stupid but it worked out.

Edited by InCrYsIs