Whats the best Non Windows OS other then Mac

DrDigitized2

lolwut. Linux/Unix is a lot more stable then Windows.

That depends on what you mean by stable. :P

To be honest I've had more errors and unanswered problems with Linux then I ever had with Windows, it is not noob friendly.

That depends on what you mean by stable. :P

Viruses and missing DLLs. Basically you can shape linux if you know how to write code for it. so for instance if you run into a stability issue, you could patch it, fix it yourself, and once you understand the problem, you could write code for it and fix it entirely. It is unrealistic that you would fix all the problems in linux which is why I put could in capital letters, but there is a possibility linux could be more stable. It all depends if you want to take it upon yourself to make it so. I find it a lot easier to run linux than windows 7. Half of my icons won't launch, I keep having little hiccups with steam, and now my PC just boots up to a black screen with a mouse cursor thanks to a clear CMOS I tried to do. (Thank god I have a laptop). Now the black screen with the mouse cursor I am fairly confident the problem is hard ware related, but all the missing DLLs are software..........obviously. With windows I just reinstall the program and let the DLLs come back and blah blah blah. With linux though I can look at the open source code, find why the DLLs magically disappear, and fix it with a patch or something. It is very tedious to patch everything, but again that is why I stressed the "could" and did not say that linux is more stable.

The other part of it is that linux doesn't get a whole lot of viruses. Even with AVG and malwarebytes, I get one or two every month on windows 7. On linux, I will go to that same exact site where I got the virus from and nothing will happen. I suppose you could think of linux being more stable in that regard as well.

I mean both systems have their bugs, so I wont outright agree with coors and say it is more stable for a home user than windows, but then again I won't say that windows is just the out right winner either. However, I do prefer linux (if it would run my software and steam games) over windows because of the flexibility to manipulate the OS code itself.

Edited by Tjj226_Angel

I have used Linux for some time (its about 10 years since I started to use it), and I have to say: Ten years ago it was MUCH worse. :lol:

Yes, some aplications still have errors, crashes... but it really isn't from the linux himself, and depends what versions you use.

It is much safer to use linux, since you almost don't have virus for it, trojans and things like that and it is free. And unlike it may appear to people, it isn't console-dependant. Most howto are in console, but there is almost always a GUI way to do it. It is sometimes even easier to do things, much prettier and faster.

However, even if there is much more games for Linux now, they aren't that great (except a handful of them). Most of the time, if you want to play games from windows, you have to pay for Cedega. At least, 2 years ago it used to be like that. :P

The thing that I really like about linux is working in them as a server and they're really good at that. So many things that already did with them with a Pentium 550 MHz. :D

Edited by XtremeDS

Viruses and missing DLLs. Basically you can shape linux if you know how to write code for it. so for instance if you run into a stability issue, you could patch it, fix it yourself, and once you understand the problem, you could write code for it and fix it entirely. It is unrealistic that you would fix all the problems in linux which is why I put could in capital letters, but there is a possibility linux could be more stable. It all depends if you want to take it upon yourself to make it so. I find it a lot easier to run linux than windows 7. Half of my icons won't launch, I keep having little hiccups with steam, and now my PC just boots up to a black screen with a mouse cursor thanks to a clear CMOS I tried to do. (Thank god I have a laptop). Now the black screen with the mouse cursor I am fairly confident the problem is hard ware related, but all the missing DLLs are software..........obviously. With windows I just reinstall the program and let the DLLs come back and blah blah blah. With linux though I can look at the open source code, find why the DLLs magically disappear, and fix it with a patch or something. It is very tedious to patch everything, but again that is why I stressed the "could" and did not say that linux is more stable.

The other part of it is that linux doesn't get a whole lot of viruses. Even with AVG and malwarebytes, I get one or two every month on windows 7. On linux, I will go to that same exact site where I got the virus from and nothing will happen. I suppose you could think of linux being more stable in that regard as well.

I mean both systems have their bugs, so I wont outright agree with coors and say it is more stable for a home user than windows, but then again I won't say that windows is just the out right winner either. However, I do prefer linux (if it would run my software and steam games) over windows because of the flexibility to manipulate the OS code itself.

I was making a joke about how the actual code for Linux isn't what I'd call stable - it's changing all the time. :lol: Stuff that works with kernel 2.6.30.blahblahblah won't work always on the newest version of the kernel, or older versions of the kernel, depending on what changed between releases.

As for fixing things that break on Linux - that only works if you're using the open source drivers for everything and you're a master at debugging. The instant you use any binary blob driver from anyone you've lost the ability to fix anything related to that driver (so if it breaks you're just SOL).

As for actual stability in terms of crashing, etc, Linux is generally more stable in every way if you've set up your system well and the software you're using is stable.

Sounds way more complicated then its worth. I will let it continue to develop until its better then windows.

Installing and setting up Linux is extremely painless these days. You can have a running system inside of 30 minutes with very little effort if you don't have any extremely rare hardware.

Edited by Waco

I was making a joke about how the actual code for Linux isn't what I'd call stable - it's changing all the time. :lol: Stuff that works with kernel 2.6.30.blahblahblah won't work always on the newest version of the kernel, or older versions of the kernel, depending on what changed between releases.

As for fixing things that break on Linux - that only works if you're using the open source drivers for everything and you're a master at debugging. The instant you use any binary blob driver from anyone you've lost the ability to fix anything related to that driver (so if it breaks you're just SOL).

As for actual stability in terms of crashing, etc, Linux is generally more stable in every way if you've set up your system well and the software you're using is stable.

Ah ok. I re-read it. Now it makes more sense. ((((((Psst Waco.........see how I didn't fly off the handle at a simple joke like a certain individual who hasn't posted lately ;) ;) ;) ?????))))))

(((((((If you know what I am talking about, I did have something to say to you before that thread was taken down, and that was plus 1 for standing up for your girl :thumbsup: . I have been meaning to say that to you again))))))))

@ the OP: You don't necessarily want to let it just evolve on its own. Linux can sometimes get to be tedious. This is true, and I don't think anyone will argue that. However, it is a learning experience, and you can become a better computer user by learning the ins and outs of a linux based system. For instance, I am currently trying to write my own linux based OS. I do not know a lot about programing and code, and I needed a project that I could commit to in order to learn about programing, and I can already tell you it is paying off. I a finding little back doors by learning how to code and can apply that to windows to prevent certain viruses from affecting my PC.

That is just one of the things you can lean from such a system, and ther are many more useful things you can pick up.

Something you should know is that you do actually have to go hunting for that sort of an adventure, so it is not like if your download and run linux you will have to start coding right away. If you just wanted to use it as a basic OS, you could. My sister, who broke her laptop in more ways than 1 (or 27 million) would really benefit from this type of an OS.........In fact..........guess who just got linux on their laptop??????

Anyways, I think you should have a linux partition to play around with and to grow with, but use windows as a main OS.

I have been tinkering with computers from the age of 15. We could not afford them growing up. I have learned alot from trying to fix something that I or someone else had broke. I however have little interest in learning how to program. I love trying to fix computers but I dont want to learn how to write the programs that help fix the computers.

Its kinda like a walkthrough for gaming. I refer to them when needed but I have no interest in writing them for the next person. Its something that I would start and not finish. Now if I lived back in San Diego CA where my family is I wouldn't mind learning how to write programs. My cousin at the age of 13 thought himself how to write code. But seeing as I am here without my cousins for backup and I don't want to search every forum for an answer I think I will stick with windows for now. Maybe one day I will feel adventurous enough to go that route.

I have been tinkering with computers from the age of 15. We could not afford them growing up. I have learned alot from trying to fix something that I or someone else had broke. I however have little interest in learning how to program. I love trying to fix computers but I dont want to learn how to write the programs that help fix the computers.

Its kinda like a walkthrough for gaming. I refer to them when needed but I have no interest in writing them for the next person. Its something that I would start and not finish. Now if I lived back in San Diego CA where my family is I wouldn't mind learning how to write programs. My cousin at the age of 13 thought himself how to write code. But seeing as I am here without my cousins for backup and I don't want to search every forum for an answer I think I will stick with windows for now. Maybe one day I will feel adventurous enough to go that route.

Gotcha. Then I would just have it on a flash drive to boot from. I usually have a linux partition on a flash drive on my key chain. About a month ago I was volunteering and this lady says OH NO. I came over and there was a picture of a worm dancing on the screen. Then the entire thing shut down and would not load windows even in safe mode. I just said lolz move over. I shoved in my flash drive and killed the dancing worm in about 20 minutes because of my linux rescue flash drive. Linux truly is a powerful tool, no doubt about it.

Gotcha. Then I would just have it on a flash drive to boot from. I usually have a linux partition on a flash drive on my key chain. About a month ago I was volunteering and this lady says OH NO. I came over and there was a picture of a worm dancing on the screen. Then the entire thing shut down and would not load windows even in safe mode. I just said lolz move over. I shoved in my flash drive and killed the dancing worm in about 20 minutes because of my linux rescue flash drive. Linux truly is a powerful tool, no doubt about it.

Thats neat. I will have to do that.

To be honest I've had more errors and unanswered problems with Linux then I ever had with Windows, it is not noob friendly.

This. I have been stymied at every turn in trying to learn linux. Most of my questions and problems get ridicule for noobishness and no help on the linux forums. For instance i have been stuck with a grub problem for a week and a half now and no-one on any of the three linux forums(or here for that matter) has answered helpfully. Only one guy answered and he did not even read the question, gave me a guide to editing grub 1.2 and i stated i was using 2.0.....

I really want to learn it but as andrew said it is not n00b friendly.

• Like 1