Official Socket AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 Overclocking Competition Thread

Been wanting to know this for a long time... is it stable as X4 B50? I mean not @ 4GHz ofc but like stock 3.1GHz or a bit higher.

yes and no. Mine is stable on an amd board at 3.1ghz stock clocks, but isn't as stable on my current nvidia based board but is rock solid as a tri. I dont leave it unlocked, cause the stock cooler isnt good enought to keep it cool (peaks at 60degrees)

But yeah if you get the right parts they can be, as you will have got one that has a TDP that is too high to fit into a quad rather than broken cores.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I was looking at the scores in this thread, I was stress testing. I noticed the only category in which I did not submit any scores was the OCCT 1h. I turned my head a few degrees to look on the desktop PC screen, and it happened I just exceeded the 1h! So I said to myself... oh well, costs nothing to take a screenshot...

So that makes me the winner in all categories :D

edit: The screenshot is a few posts lower

Edited by The Smith

Smith, that OCCT run is not the 1hour stability test. The infinite test for 1 hour and the 1 hour stability test actually do different things, so you might make it to 1 hour in the infinite test, but might fail the 1hr stability test. I don't know exactly how it works, I just know that's the way OCCT rolls :lol:

For the suicide... yea, usually that's the absolute max "It's gonna bluescreen take a MOFRIGGIN screenshot" type of clocks, not your SuperPI clocks. It's supposed to act as a bit of a reference for which speeds tip it over the edge, so I'm gonna stop adding SuperPI 1M runs etc. into the suicide category. It's technically been that way ever since the 939 competition, I had it that way in the 775 competition (mostly), that's my story and I'm sticking to it :lol:

Smith, that OCCT run is not the 1hour stability test. The infinite test for 1 hour and the 1 hour stability test actually do different things, so you might make it to 1 hour in the infinite test, but might fail the 1hr stability test. I don't know exactly how it works, I just know that's the way OCCT rolls :lol:

Rly? Oh... :unsure:

Gimme another hour then :D

The Smith can you give detailed spec of the system you're overclocking that 965 on? I'm dying to know.

lol well I reached that overclock on a MA790FXT-UD5P, but now I am playing with a MA785G-UD3H. It brings the CPU to the same overclock, not any farther.

Edit: 40 more minutes to go and you get that screenshot, King!

Edited by The Smith

K King here it is:

post-31336-1250901599_thumb.jpg

Happy now?

Edit: @ rourkchris:

I am using a Cooler Master V8, Windows Vista, and for the RAm well it was DDR3 on the MA790FXT-UD5P, but this time on the MA785G-UD3H I am using DDR2. I am on a custom tech station, and the computer is run by a Mushkin XP-800AP. The graphics card is a GTX260. Oh and the air conditioning is set to 23C.

Edited by The Smith