2560x1600...put the hurt on my 7970

IVIYTH0S

Depending on how old that PSU is, i'd go for the gtx 970, or even a gtx 980 since you could stretch your budget if you waited an extra month (if you aren't THAT desperate for an upgrade).

Two 7970's do like dem power and it could rack up your electric bill fast, only plus side i see is that you do not need to put up with the gas bill because those two cards will cover the heat. :P

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on how old that PSU is, i'd go for the gtx 970, or even a gtx 980 since you could stretch your budget if you waited an extra month (if you aren't THAT desperate for an upgrade).

Two 7970's do like dem power and it could rack up your electric bill fast, only plus side i see is that you do not need to put up with the gas bill because those two cards will cover the heat. :P

Yeah, sadly I get free heating but pay electricity so that (and scaling that may vary) is one of the biggest deterrents right now for the crossfire setup.

Even the "all power hungry" 290X pulls like over 150W less

Looks to me if you go crossfire those cards would be very close together, might have a heat issue, just going by the pic of your board.

Well the relative distance between the cards is probably commonly that close (unless it's a special board with different spacing) but yeah heat and power definitely have a part to play.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• 4 months later...

THREAD NECRO

just got a GTX970 for a song so...looks like that'll be my new 2560x1600 satisfier haha. Now to read up on that issue it has after 3.5GB utilization and stuff I need to know about it since I'll probably keep this card for quite a while.

Prepare for a [FS] thread of it once my 970 comes :D, I'm excited since this is one of my first Nvidia cards in a LONG time, even though I've really liked all I've read about it (efficiency and performance)

What sucks is I recently finished the last two games I had that were PhysX enabled, while not playing thing with PhysX....I suppose I COULD reinstall Arkham City and do the bonus missions with PhysX to see if it's something I was truly missing out on or not.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

THREAD NECRO

just got a GTX970 for a song so...looks like that'll be my new 2560x1600 satisfier haha. Now to read up on that issue it has after 3.5GB utilization and stuff I need to know about it since I'll probably keep this card for quite a while.

Prepare for a [FS] thread of it once my 970 comes :D, I'm excited since this is one of my first Nvidia cards in a LONG time, even though I've really liked all I've read about it (efficiency and performance)

What sucks is I recently finished the last two games I had that were PhysX enabled, while not playing thing with PhysX....I suppose I COULD reinstall Arkham City and do the bonus missions with PhysX to see if it's something I was truly missing out on or not.

Which 970 did you get?

Asus Strix 970

Those Strix cards can be pretty sweet overclockers, run the snot out of that thing!

The ASUS cooler looks like an angry owl.

Edit: If you have any issues with the power target I have found the right versions of the right programs to edit and flash the Maxwell cards. I have seen mine hit 125% TDP since I removed the 108% limit. Editing voltage is a mixed bag with the boost clock though.

Edited by GabrielT

I'll see how it goes, most likely it will stock clocked and undervolted until I need its full power. Dead space 2 runs over 200FPS right now on my 7970 so I know it will be even easier for my 970 lol

So looks like you did reach an agreement on that GTX 970. :lol: You get it installed yet or just drooling over the box?

That I did!

I'll do it later, too lazy now...plus I have company coming soon