Xonar D1 Sound Card From Asus Tested

Nemo

Great review! Could you explain the modifications made to the X-Fi Xtreme? Is it possible to make the same modifications to the Xonar D1?

See my sig. I have one too, courtesy of hardnrg of course. We've swapped towns again :)

Eh, I still don't like all those fancy virtual surround wotsits and effect thingers. Somebody should concentrate on making a sub $100 card that does just plain, simple 5.1 well before worrying about EAX and CMSS-3D rubbish. :P

It does plain 5.1, both prerecorded and Dolby Digital Live... so you can get 5.1 through discrete analogue or single digital interconnects... is that plain and simple?

I find Dolby Headphone, CMSS-3D and other forms of HRTF DSPs very interesting, especially when they work...

this is my X-Fi XtremeMusic worklog... could you do the same to the D1? hrm... maybe... the op-amps appear to be the same package... I'd guess the pinouts are the same, but would check the datasheets first... the LM4562 has about twice (or more) the slew rate of the D1's opamps which means it reacts faster, theoretically retaining more detail (I'd agree also in practise)

you could probably just leave the solid Alu caps, they're probably more of a pain to replace, because of their close proximity to one another, than it's worth... and you'd have to trace the board yourself to determine which caps to short to bypass the decoupling output stage (which is a bad idea for connecting headphones directly)

It does plain 5.1, both prerecorded and Dolby Digital Live... so you can get 5.1 through discrete analogue or single digital interconnects... is that plain and simple?

I mean just having 6 assignable 24-bit/192kHz channels, with a decent SNR, etc... getting the basics right before adding fancy features.

I mean just having 6 assignable 24-bit/192kHz channels

so you want 6 individual channels rather than a multi-channel output like 5.1?

like a music production card? how do you mean assignable? like the kX drivers where you can map the channels from anything to anything with a DSP block diagram?

with my A2ZS and kX drivers I can have 8 assignable analogue outputs, 6 analogue inputs, 16 ASIO channels...

kxdspoh0.gif

I think the A2ZS does 16/48 multichannel record, or 24/96 stereo record

The D1 does 24/192 out of 8 channels, and 24/192 in from 2...