EA to Fire 500-1000 Employees

bilcliff

BF3 is the only game I have bought from EA. The only other game will be Crysis 3. Haven't really like EA at all over the years. But feel bad for the people that are getting laid off.

Well if some of those people are the customer support representatives I wouldn't mind at all.

Yes EA may not develop the games, but they're the ones who tell their developer studios what projects they can and cant work on. They're also the ones responsible for choosing how much is going to be spent on marketing the game which Konami has been doing a really bad job of lately; But thats another story.

ontop of all that the publisher are the ones who say no when the devs ask for more time or money to implement new mechanics etc. They're responsible for forcing deadlines on the devs (the game must ship by x)

When I mentioned restricting their creative freedom: I'm talking more about patches and updates since release. I've heard a few rumors about how DICE has already developed several patches to fix all of the remaining bugs: But EA is waiting to release it until "Close Quarters" DLC comes out- because they expect it to make people more likely to buy the DLC itself if it's released on the same day as they finally decide to let DICE implement bug fixes (customers will be in a good mood the day it's released more or less).

That rumor really makes me raise a finely tilted eyebrow in EA's direction. Not entirely sure it's true, but come on.. We're talking about EA here: It probably is.

When I mentioned restricting their creative freedom: I'm talking more about patches and updates since release. I've heard a few rumors about how DICE has already developed several patches to fix all of the remaining bugs: But EA is waiting to release it until "Close Quarters" DLC comes out- because they expect it to make people more likely to buy the DLC itself if it's released on the same day as they finally decide to let DICE implement bug fixes (customers will be in a good mood the day it's released more or less).

That rumor really makes me raise a finely tilted eyebrow in EA's direction. Not entirely sure it's true, but come on.. We're talking about EA here: It probably is.

To me creative freedom is more in the pre release dev stage. Working on what you want when you want. IMO what you're referring to is the post launch support and not creative freedom.

If that rumour is true, it is a massive customer service fail. And it would put me off buying EA games even more than normal knowing that bugs wont get patched in a timely manner. Come to think of it, the idea of EA waiting for DLC to release patches isn't inconceivable. Take a look at BC2. The knife was broken for almost 1/2 a year from memory because essentially the whole team was working on the Vietnam expansion instead of fixing the game.