[WARNING] New NVIDIA 196.75 drivers are bugged

So apparently under certain circumstances the new 196.75 drivers can kill (via overheating) your card due to an issue with the fan speed control.

LINK

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thing I'm still using 186.86. I may upgrade to 191.07 at some point but I have no reason to yet.

Hopefully the next nVidia drivers fix that little glitch. Bet there'd be a lot of RMAs with it. :lol:

This is old news about the driver issue. Its kinda of funny that this is the only game that is causing issues, makes me wonder if they have a glitch in their code after all its a beta :lol:

I kinda wish there was a way to find out exactly what killed a card so Nvidia would have to shell out to all the people that had cards that were out of warranty.

How do they test drivers? Put the drivers thru one test on one liquid cooled video card? How the hell do they miss this before releasing a driver that kills card [flashback]FX5800's die en mass due to driver issue in Nvidia WHQL driver due tomassive overheating issues while in screesaver.[/flashback]

Has ATI ever had drivers that kill cards in very large quantities? I can recall twice this has happened with Nvidia drivers in the last 10 years now. Time for Nvidia to fork out some cash or vouchers to all the affected people to replace thier cards.

On a side note, I'm glad I don't touch drivers untill they've been out at least a week :) I'd rather let someone else FUBAR thier stuff instead of me. Course I did just put these drivers on a friends system today but any issue with the driver will be countered by the fan being forced to 100% 24/7 via Rivatuner :)

Edited by WARDOZERX

Yet another Nvidia fail :lol:
NVIDIA kicks ATI's arse in the driver department, and you'll find very few people to disagree with that.

This is old news about the driver issue. Its kinda of funny that this is the only game that is causing issues, makes me wonder if they have a glitch in their code after all its a beta :lol:
Yeah, the Blizzard rep claims that the problem is not just their games, but can occur in all 3D apps, yet I haven't seen any other posts/articles/complaints about the problem occurring in other games. Curious indeed.

The funny thing is that Warcraft 3 fried my video card ~ 7 years ago.

Good thing I'm still using 186.86. I may upgrade to 191.07 at some point but I have no reason to yet.

Hopefully the next nVidia drivers fix that little glitch. Bet there'd be a lot of RMAs with it. :lol:

My last upgrade before 196.21 was 191.07. I actually rolled it back to 191.07.

The difference between 186.86 and 191.07 was some actual performance increases in some games:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-ge...weaks,8790.html

Also, with the 196.21, software overclocking was busted. Latest Nvidia drivers = fail.

EDIT: Btw, anyone looking to roll back:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Edited by El_Capitan

NVIDIA kicks ATI's arse in the driver department, and you'll find very few people to disagree with that.

That's wierd I've never had any issues with ATI drivers myself out of all the 6 years I've been using them :unsure: