Nvidia GTX 480 Reviewed

Bosco

Now, who wants to loan me 500 bucks...

I love that we have Crysis Warhead set to Enthusiast. If I had the biggest card there is, I think I'd stress the card as much as humanly possible to see what it can do. Who wants to use a lower quality setting? If the card is good enough, it should handle the highest setting possible imo.

Btw, sunan, there is no 5890. :P

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, we now that. but what about an overclock gtx 480 do againts an overclocked HD 5870 then? or may be with HD 5890? with new ati driver as well as overvoltage tool, may be it can beat up gtx 480... :rolleyes:

take the OC'd results from here: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/po...olor_5870/6.htm

and compare them to the gtx480 #'s it's that simple ;)

Hmm nice in depth review, but in the conclusion section it almost sounds like you like this card. I thought since FERMI had 6 more months to develop this card that it would absolutely trounch the 5870 but really I'm seeing a 17% over gain. The card runs at 97c under full load for God's sakes lol and it idles in Windows at 65c lol, I mean does it really consume 506watts of power at full load?!?! Ya I'm def. gonna have to pass this one up for the cooler running ATI counterpart; I thought this card was supposed to be some new technological marvel, but it seems we just have a 5800 Ultra remix. Just think while nVidia is chillen in their offices like "Yea we did it", ATI is in theirs already working out their refresh part for 200 dollars cheaper lol.

Edited by f!ver

EVGA already has FTW Hydro Copper versions of the GTX 480 and GTX 470. That should solve the heat problem for the enthusiasts with good watercooling setups.

Seems that they did a good job on the waterblock this time...

The world’s fastest GPU now meets the world’s best waterblock. EVGA teamed up with Swiftech to deliver a solution that truly goes “For The Win!” The EVGA Hydro Copper waterblock uses a 0.6x0.6mm thin pin matrix, and the base plate is made of chrome plated electrolytic C110 copper which gives it a clean look. The integrated heat pipe connects to the power mosfet heatsink for optimal cooling.

MSRP for the GTX 470 Hydro Copper FTW is $499.99 and $649.99 for the GTX 480 Hydro Copper FTW.

Edited by PingoPongo

i dont think that the 5870 should compete with the 480 the eyefinity 5870 2 gb edition should compete with the 480 there is a 100 dollar price difference u cant compare ,its like comparing the 5850 with the 5870

The GTX480 was made to go against the HD5870(And against the HD5970 sometimes) So why is everyone so damn disappointed? If you looked at this then look at the average and minimum FPS. You rather want those higher than have the highest Max FPS. BTW, I forgot to ask, but what FPS do you take? Max, average or min?

Edit: Remember these are Beta drivers for the GTX480, so its not even at its best performance yet

Edited by Krieg1337

Hmm nice in depth review, but in the conclusion section it almost sounds like you like this card. I thought since FERMI had 6 more months to develop this card that it would absolutely trounch the 5870 but really I'm seeing a 17% over gain. The card runs at 97c under full load for God's sakes lol and it idles in Windows at 65c lol, I mean does it really consume 506watts of power at full load?!?! Ya I'm def. gonna have to pass this one up for the cooler running ATI counterpart; I thought this card was supposed to be some new technological marvel, but it seems we just have a 5800 Ultra remix. Just think while nVidia is chillen in their offices like "Yea we did it", ATI is in theirs already working out their refresh part for 200 dollars cheaper lol.

I do like it. It does well. In my testing power consumption was less than that. was less than that. Yes it is a hot running card but if you look at the HD 3870s when they first came out they wee cookers as well.

Frank what drivers where used on the 5870 test?

I thought Nvidia would do worse, but for $500? Eh...

$500 is much better than their prior flagship launches think $700 for the 8800GTX and $659 for the GTX 280. They have priced it at a decent price point

lets see some F@H #'s !!! :foldon:

Well, since you didn't include any F@H info in your article (like you normally do) and haven't commented on sdy's request, I can only conclude that the GTX480's are NOT compatible (possible beta driver issue) with Stanford's Folding at this present time?

EDIT: It looks like it's NOT compatible yet from this article, we will just have to wait.

Edited by RJR