downsizing to micro atx

panjang110

just like the topic say, i'm going to build a small gaming pc in  SG09 casing cause i need more space on my desk for some other things so here is the part i have listed and some part from my old pc

new parts

3570K( finally going intel after 10 year with amd)

Asrock z77 extreme4-m or z77 fatal1ty pro-m

Silverstone SG09

128gb ssd

old parts

gigabyte 7970

8gb corsair vengeance 1600

cooler master v8

enermax naxn 750 watt( i'm going to sleeve this)

1tb WD black

so here is the problem, i can decide whether i should get the extreme4 or  the fatal1ty. or maybe i should just skip the midrange and get something cheaper like z77 pro4-m. the reason i don't include other brand is because only asrock board offer 775 mounting hole so i don't have to buy a new cooler. i'm trying to keep the budget as low as posibble.

no haswell for me, i'm sick of waitng and even if it's coming out next month motherboard selection is going to be thin with only low end stuff on micro atx form

Why don't ya wait for price drops :D

i don't think there is going to be a price drop not here...i still remember seeing a local store selling a p67 board at retail price :whoa: WTF, p67 was like 2 years ago. . retailer here is greedy they rather have the parts collecting dust on the shelf than selling it at a lower price. 

anyway i want to update the issue on the motherboard, after doing some research it looks like the extreme4 is merely a pro4 with different caps and heatsink and colour scheme... when you look carefully all the component layout is the same just with different color, and there is issue with cpu throttling down when the heatsink is overheated during overclock

Between the two I would likely choose the one on sale.

What overclock are you going to go for?

Research which board has the best VRMs/heatsink  if you are seriously overclocking.

I built a system a little while back with the extreme4-m and it's been running fine though I just have a modest oc (4.4ghz) on my 3770k. Though looking at the specs, it looks like the Fatil1ty-m has better caps and cooling. Probibly a better OC'er, then again it all depends on how far you plan on taking the oc and what kind of cooling your going to put on it.

Could always downsize a little more and go mITX

actually my idea was to go itx but looking the size of the prodigy next to SG09 makes me think otherwise... the prodigy is bigger even if i remove the feet and handles 

I have actually put a 7970 6 gig model in my current ITX build using a Node 304 case.

i wish node 304 is available for sale here,i will definitely go the itx route

I built a system a little while back with the extreme4-m and it's been running fine though I just have a modest oc (4.4ghz) on my 3770k. Though looking at the specs, it looks like the Fatil1ty-m has better caps and cooling. Probibly a better OC'er, then again it all depends on how far you plan on taking the oc and what kind of cooling your going to put on it.

got all the parts i needed decided to go cheap and get z77 pro4-m instead though i'm having second thought right now whether i should return this and get the fatality, the board look so cheap and flimsy. i'm going to use this system for at least 4 years and oc it when it starts to get slow....what do you guys think?return it and get the fatality, or maybe a few years down the road i can get a used one of ebay or somewhere