Using an old router as a Repeater?

dr_bowtie

UPDATE #2

Still playing with the wireless and learning what some settings do and the effects or adverse effects they cause....

Settings I have been playing with are in the Wireless section include Cypher strength and Channel width

1st I'll go over Cypher strength....

I've been reading about my DGL-4500 and what it seems to like and dislike.... It seems WPA2-Personal is the best and setting the Cypher AES is the fastest while TKIT is the slowest of the two. I've found that neither made a difference for Android or windows adapters so far....

Channel Width..... Options are 20, 40 and Auto20/40

By default BOTH the routers I have been playing with have 20 set by default.... 20 is for NON-N devices and if you have NO N devices 20 is the normal...40 is for N devices and Auto will switch between both....

No here is where things go weird....Setting this at AUTO gives me the best wireless rated speed of 150Mbps on windows or Android devices. as whas the point in testing the router and Access Point..

In theory the higher the speed number the better right? no so much.... the problem with the AUTO channel with isnt much on Windows as it does everything it should and I noticed no issue and the connector connected at N with good speeds.

on the Android devices I had 150Mbps connection speeds but internet didnt seem fast and Youtube would tend to load/buffer a few times....another issue and the most important is that even though I had internet I lost access to the PCs on the network... mainly the media server

sometimes it would see it in a scan but could never connect to it. Scans were slow and it never really popped anything up. This seemed strange to me as I had Internet and the gateways and subnet was the same.....

Now I rebooted everything and chose Forget to the adapters thinking I just needed to reload them... no help.... finally after chasing my tail for a bit I decided to figure which setting boogered it....

setting channel width to the Default of 20 fixed the issue but also lowered the connection speeds to 72Mbps but the internet loads even faster and seems a lot less skippy....

just a little learning thread for mixing Android and Windows devices on a wireless network by a nooberoid lol