Guild Wars 2

WhenKittensATK

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I just have a higher error tolerance. Found a "combing" instead of "combining." Sounds like we all make mistakes.

It could be because I just edited a review here that was extremely frustrating. lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got it installed a ready to go. Interested to see if it's indeed better than the first game, both in gameplay and visuals.

Let me know how it is, a buddy of mine is curious.

Also let me know if its still CPU bound.

I think it is better than GW1 in terms of gameplay and graphics, much better IMO. Most people I know after a BWE, simply can't play other games for a week: The other games are simply too boring. I only played twice this week and less than a 2 hours and I normally I play much more... so that's how good it is. :lol:

It still is CPU-Bound. I found it loading my CPU almost like Prime95. :lol: This BWE2 run much better than the BWE1 in terms of DC, login problems and other problems of this kind and it run better for people with better CPU (like a 2500k).

Here is a few videos I made:

It isn't as good as it looks in the game (the original video looks better), but it gives an idea how it looks and how the gameplay is.

A small jump puzzle for a skill challenge:

This last video has better quality, but still isn't the same. :P

I can make a small review if you want to. I have played in both BWE. ;)

Edited by XtremeDS

Let me know how it is, a buddy of mine is curious.

Also let me know if its still CPU bound.

I'm not completely sold on it just yet, but I certainly find the PvE better than the first game thus far. Unfortunately I didn't get to try out PvP yet, which I'm very curious about. Will have to look up where I have to go to join a PvP match for the next beta weekend (whenever that'll be).

Graphically, I'm not as impressed as some people. They're decent for an MMO, but nothing spectacular. For example, I feel RIFT has better graphics (though I haven't played that in a year...could be even better now).

Gameplay-wise, one of the nicest things is the ability to cast while moving. In a lot of MMOs, if you play a mage, you often have to remain stationary to cast anything other than your instant spells - not the case in GW2. You can cast a spell with a two-second cast-time and move about while doing so. This allows you to dodge/evade hits, but more importantly as a mage, allows you to kite better, especially if you use a skill to slow down the enemy first.

The most interesting aspect so far is the skill system - they're attached to weapon types. I haven't decided if this is good or bad yet - it certainly has its pros and cons. For example, as a mage, I started off with a wand and had spells associated with that. As you use the spells you have, you unlock more (up to five, IIRC). But then I acquired a cool staff, so I switched to that. All of a sudden, my skills were different (and now I had to start from scratch, with only one available skill until I unlocked the subsequent ones). It's a pretty interesting system because it allows you to choose what string of skills you want (and as a mage, you also can switch between elements (eg. fire, water). The major con with this system is that if you really like one set of skills, let's say your wand skills, and then acquire some super rare, amazing staff, you either have to settle for different skills, or settle for not using that awesome staff.

Lastly, I'll just comment on the "dynamic events". I'd say that this system is most definitely influenced (if not completely ripped off from) RIFT. Again, I haven't played RIFT in a year, so not sure how it currently is, but like what I remember from RIFT, GW2's dynamic events are a bit too frequent. Like RIFT, you do not have to participate, but there's little incentive not to. I'm not sure how the system works - in RIFT, the frequency was based on how many players happen to be in an area. The chance of a dynamic event occurring in RIFT was higher with higher populations. If it's the same in GW2, then that could explain the high occurrence, as most people were around the same level and thus crowding around in the starting areas.