Gagzila's Gaming Rig for 2012

Gagzila

F#@& yeah!!!

Aliens vs Predator @ 1080P, all settings maxed out and DX11 features turned on, 4xAA and she never even looked like budging off of 60 FPS which it just maxes out at constantly. True test will be tomorrow night when eyefinity runs the image across all three monitors at 5760x1080 :popcorn:

This is Craig signing off for the night...a happy man!

Cheers!

Turn off v-sync :P

Then tell us what mins and maxes are

I would suggest you try portrait mode for you eyefinity setup, i think it would generate a more pleasant experience. It would certainly give you a better aspect ratio (close to 16:9.5) and when you get used to it you will realise the gains when surfing (more vertical space on the web and forums) and gaming (much more useable aspect ratio).

also that solder looks scary, but it might be ok. If you get any weird blue screen or other instability from furmark (or other gpu intensive activity) you should rma it and it should not be a problem since that clearly is a quality control slip up. Especially don't unlock the shaders before doing serious stress testing, since it might viod your warranty.

Your ssd dissapearing is unfortunately very common with the Vertex 3 i'm afraid, i would setup daily automatic cloning of your os to the raid array so you can boot from there when (not if unfortunately) it happens again.

I would stick the heat probes into the fins of heatsinks as close to the base plate as possible to get more accurate readings, ambient temps inside the case will be pretty cold with all that exhaust.

Had something more, but i forgot it...

Just my thoughts right now...

Hope it all works out for you!

Will do Michael ;)

Thanks for the suggestion Medbor but I actually like the orientation now from checking out other examples on youtube. I like how it basically gives you a peripheral view when playing FPS but more importantly it will be heaps better for racing simulation on rfactor ;) I think if you turned them portrait config, I may as well have bought an 27" monitor or an even bigger LCD TV for less money ;)

My mate who's done a fair bit of soldering says it looks like solder splash or something where the board may have initially failed their during stress testing and has been manually re-soldered. I will be reporting it to PCCG as one of the miniDP ports actually has a brownish lens flare kind of marks across the screen, where the other is fine. They also only gave me 1 meter of the larger white cable sleeving when I ordered 2 meters! :P

I think thats as good as it will get CPU wise for the probe as there aren't heatsink fins in the H80 unit as far as I could tell...I believe there is a solid copper block that sits ontop of the CPU.

Also I have the Agility 3 SSDs, but I am guessing they are in the same boat as the Vertex's?

Cheers,

Craig

Edited by Gagzila

I believe if I angled the side arms of the stand back out that I could get the monitors to sit side by side but it would pretty much be a flat image across all 3 instead of wrapping around me and giving me a good front on view of each monitor. As it is, it's actually as close to perfect as I could hope it to be so I am very happy with it and just yet to see how the eyefinity works but I am sure it will look great with the monitor setup.

Cheers,

Craig

Hey ccokeman,

It would definitely fit but I did this specifically to move it further away from the CPU, otherwise it will be close or even slightly overlapping the edge of the CPU which doesn't look the best. Plus I think it would put more stress on the connecting coolant pipes, as it is now there is already a decent pressure exerted by the stiff pipes where they want to push the H80 CPU block towards the front of the case.

No good Locutus...better hop of the PC, get out there and find yourself a job :P...then you can copy my build :bow:

Cheers,

Craig

You know the way I see things we can keep the good looks and increase the performance skype simultaneously reducing the noise of the cpu cooler.

Craig how do you feel about cutting the grill out to allow unrestricted airflow?

Oh and Craig you have lernt why when I made a suggestion so long ago for this stand that I added 23.5 inch monitors. It is tight but very strong/sturdy and ohms good even if it only fits very thin bezel 24inch monitors side by side no overlaps. But freaking reduces bezel size anyway so you dont really loose.

Must be time for coffee again Michael as your response doesn't make a lot of sense :P

I really don't want to hack up my beautiful case, so I'll pass on that idea...if I need more airflow I can just install up to another four 120mm fans in the side panel grill. In terms of noise, it's pretty quite...you especially don't really notice it once you've got the volume pumped up in a game ;)

Yeah I didn't realise why you said that at the time, now I do...still I prefer the 24" monitors and as said it's pretty much spot on how it is anyway. I just popped home at lunch then and chucked in the new saphire active adapater (love the quality, gives a very nice click to when plugging it into the miniDP to DP adapter) to quickly test it out. With bezel adjustment made, you don't notice at all the missing 2-3mm of screen to either side (definitely better than loosing a full two bezel widths of image) or that its slightly further away than the middle screen in front of it. Looks awesome!!! I did notice the framerate to be somewhat slower and not as smooth but very playable still. Below are some stats from a quick 60 second FRAPS benchmark I ran while playing AVP in tripple monitor eyefinity - 5760x1080.

Frames - 2510 || Time (ms) - 54101 || Min - 33 || Max - 62 || Avg - 46.395

I must say, that's pretty respectable in my opinion on standard CPU and GPU clock settings so far with everything still turned up max and v-sync disabled :)

Will go back to a single monitor tonight and test all the games list above with some more FRAPS benchmarks and then another run in eyefinity (and then maybe a run with OC settings :ph34r:). What options are there in the CCC to optimise eyefinity or crossfire performance? I noticed a GPU scaling option but haven't touched it yet, wondering if that will help improve frame rates / make the eyefinity process more efficient or get extra oompf from the crossfire setup?

Cheers,

Craig

Edited by Gagzila

Haha sorry mate not coffee just stupid auto correct on my phone. Skype = and, Ohms = looks and freaking = overlaps oh god not sure how some of them came up :lol:

Havent done anything towards reading up on ccc options for the eyefinity set up I hope to make start of next year most of my stuff is on the hardware side not the optimizing, mostly because I am looking to get 7xxx series card/s. No idea what options I will have yet besides some hopefully good overclocks on a 140mm single and a 140mm triple rad for my gpu and cpu.

Some things like slightly lower aa will help beef up fps