B&W speaker project

Black64

So I was shopping on eBay and happened to find an awesome deal on some damaged B&W speakers and got the lot for under $400, which includes 1 CDM CNT Center channel and 3 CDM 1NT's. :woot: From the ad, the guy said all of the tweeters are damaged and one is missing, but everything else works fine, or so he says :glare: . Also there looks to be some minor costmetic damage as well, but most of it looks like an easy fix and nothing major.  I have done a few speaker repairs before but not on B&Ws. So it should be a fun project and a nice upgrade. Here is a pic from the ad and here is the link if you want to see more

kgrhqzo4fdm8ufqebq1l98t.jpg

Can't wait to get them in! I was thinking about doing a build log on these. Not sure though.

Edited by Black64

Assuming the crossovers and woofers are okay that's a score!

Yes, that is definitely what I am hoping for. From the pics the woofers look fine, so no reason to suspect the crossovers are damaged, but still.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, (if anyone is still reading this :whistling: ) The guy took 2 weeks to ship them, but he lives 3 hours away so I got them in quick. I tested them all and they all work, except for the tweeters. They were very dirty when I got them, but I was able to clean them up nicely and they don't seem to have a lot of use, which is nice. I thought I could fix the tweeters but they solid aluminium (if you try to bend them back out they crack) and were broke beyond repair. Repair for the tweeters should be just under $500 for all four (not each, together). I don't have to repair as much as I thought so that's nice, but the tweeters are pricey, but they should be worth it. Can't wait to hear then sing! :D

photocf.jpg

I care about resale value, I have about $225 into each speaker and the L/Rs are worth $250-300 each on eBay, the center is worth $400-500 on eBay, so it think getting original parts is worth it. :cool2:

But I am not going to sell em, I am going to replace my current speakers.

Edited by Black64

what a beauty after it's bath! :thumbsup:

i'll get the original tweeters either if i bought those set that cheap, worth it.

needless to say, if i'm about to buy a home speakers and have the coin... at least it could be B&W :)

Just got the Tweeters and an extra grill in today, I will be installing them later tonight and finally getting these speakers up and running! photo1zux.jpg

And I replaced the cracked dome around one of the tweeters

photo7ujn.jpg

The tweeter terminal, this was quite tough to put back together, as it seems B&W doesn't want you to take it apart.

photo2fbo.jpg

Got it back togther and the grills installed, they stay on using the magnetic pull the tweeter driver, which is a nice touch.

photo8yy.jpg

Used a little bit of wood polish and they look brand new.

Edited by Black64

photo9r.jpg

They sound great, but I still need to burn in the tweeters. They should a bit bright. But I am happy with how they turned out. :cool2: Total cost came in just under $800 and took 4.5 hours.

Edited by Black64