News: Vista May Corrupt iPods

sdy284

CRN Article

OCC News Post

91x17-digg-button.gif

Apple Computer is warning customers who use the Windows version of its iTunes software to hold off upgrading to Windows Vista until it can release a patch to fix a number of serious compatibility issues, one of which could result in a corrupt iPod player.

Apple, in a statement posted Thursday on its Web support forum, says upgrading from Windows 2000 or Windows XP to Vista may result in the inability to play songs purchased and downloaded to the desktop iTunes player from its online iTunes store.

Worse, however, is the problem that iPod users could encounter if they try to eject their digital music player from a desktop port using the "Safely Remove Hardware" feature found on the Vista system tray. That, Apple warns ominously, "may corrupt your iPod."

Apple says the safe way to undock an iPod from a Vista-equipped PC, until a patch is released, is to be sure and use the "Eject iPod" control in the iTunes software.

Apple says the problems will be fixed when it releases the next version of iTunes "within a few weeks."

Edited by sdy284

Well isn't that just great? Who uses the "Safely Remove Hardware"? I always just pull my iPod from the cable and nothing happens...An update will come very soon anyways I bet.

One time I did that it ended up screwing up my ipod so since that day on I've always used the eject button via itunes. ><

And how long has Apple had to fix this?? They wait until after the OS is released before even acknowledging it? Sounds like they held off on purpose so they can try and sway people from upgrading.

And how long has Apple had to fix this?? They wait until after the OS is released before even acknowledging it? Sounds like they held off on purpose so they can try and sway people from upgrading.

Agreed.I mean, don't they have a new OS coming out soon?

Well isn't that just great? Who uses the "Safely Remove Hardware"? I always just pull my iPod from the cable and nothing happens...An update will come very soon anyways I bet.

I used to do that, it messed up my album art (it displayed the wrong album art)

When I've used my ipod at work (no itunes, just for portable harddrive, using USB), I used the "safely remove hardware" icon. At home (using Firewire), I got rid of that icon long ago (because I didn't want to see my RAID drives there), so I always used either the "Eject Ipod" from within Itunes if I had that open, or right-clicked the drive in My Computer and selected "Eject" from there.