Finally the 3870 X2 is reviewed

Bosco

That is what I was thinking. With newer, more tweaked drivers and some motherboard support that would be some impressive hi res rendering ability - or one insane folding rig, which I believe may have been closer to your line of thought :)

That and some benching...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Very good point Ryan :)

Get the facts read between the lines. :) Companies all say there stuff runs better together, what did we do we tested it on their platform and you can see the numbers now we will switch to the intel and see what happens.

At the sametime you do not see video cards being tested on Phenom platforms at all which is why I made the call to do it! What about all those people that have those CPU's already? Like Paul said he is going to run it on the Quad 6600 and you will see the difference on both platforms. :)

Like Paul said if we had more time there would have been a good chance we could have included it all but frankly there was just not enough time to do it as much as we would have liked. :(

My intel setup smacks this review upside the head. The Phenom/ATI thing is alright but this card is alot more than any Phenom,X2, or FX can handle. I got an AMD x2 5000 BLack Box Edition and this thing couldn't hardly make 10,000 overclocked on the 3dmark06 and on my intel setup, it almost hits 14,000 stock. Overclocking this card isn't a real problem on the C2D platform, it performs well. Heat is a problem in my current computer case when it is overclocked but the one I am setting up to cage this beast will breath alot better and the processor will be water cooled to pull more heat out of the case so I can get a legit benchmark on it. Intel's X38 chipset runs Crossfire Rather well with a Core 2 Quad 6600 and the 790 chipset is supposed to compliment the ATI cards but HHHHHHhhMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeerrrrrr no I'm not going to say it. This is a bad mofo of a card! Don't be fooled.

Check out our review of the Asus model as well. Done on an Intel by the way for comparison. Asus 3870X2

With catalyst 8.2 mine got a good jump. They ran 8.1 in the review. I run a C2d e6850 2gb of ram on vista home and it does good. I have been with nvidia since the ati 9600's came out and disappointed me. For years I ran nvidia video cards. I even went SLI with 2 7900gtx's right before Vista's release. I was still using the 93.71 drivers with xp til last December because nvidia let alot of folks down with their drivers. I was in the market back in January for a new video card and kept looking at the 2900xt 1gb version which exist in small numbers and are higher priced than they were upon release 6 months ago when I came across this card and I knew it would be the one to rock my boxers off. I had a couple of 7900 gx2's (not the 7950gx2) and those were bears by themselves but in sli they sucked. So, dual gpu's isn't anything new to me. A buddy of mine has been running crossfire since an electrical storm 6 months ago killed his sli setup and the "Quality" and "Playability" with 2 X 512mb 2900xt's got my attention. Nvidia has slipped and ATI is catching up fast. I bought an 8800gt and took it back 2 days later before I got this 3870 X2 and I am glad I did.

With catalyst 8.2 mine got a good jump. They ran 8.1 in the review. I run a C2d e6850 2gb of ram on vista home and it does good. I have been with nvidia since the ati 9600's came out and disappointed me. For years I ran nvidia video cards. I even went SLI with 2 7900gtx's right before Vista's release. I was still using the 93.71 drivers with xp til last December because nvidia let alot of folks down with their drivers. I was in the market back in January for a new video card and kept looking at the 2900xt 1gb version which exist in small numbers and are higher priced than they were upon release 6 months ago when I came across this card and I knew it would be the one to rock my boxers off. I had a couple of 7900 gx2's (not the 7950gx2) and those were bears by themselves but in sli they sucked. So, dual gpu's isn't anything new to me. A buddy of mine has been running crossfire since an electrical storm 6 months ago killed his sli setup and the "Quality" and "Playability" with 2 X 512mb 2900xt's got my attention. Nvidia has slipped and ATI is catching up fast. I bought an 8800gt and took it back 2 days later before I got this 3870 X2 and I am glad I did.

Crossfire scales better relative to demand then SLI due to the more efficient method of balancing load and rendering frames. ATI is doinggreat right now - dual 3850s make an amazing gaming or benchmarking setup for 400 or less bucks, and the 3870X2 is already a beast for its $450 pricetag...but once the "quadfire" drivers are available it will be a whole new ballgame for those willing to shell out the cash. Just a matter of time.

It is a shame the graphics war is getting more and more competative while prices drop and performance increases, while the CPU market is a one sided battle with relatively little progress.

Crossfire scales better relative to demand then SLI due to the more efficient method of balancing load and rendering frames. ATI is doinggreat right now - dual 3850s make an amazing gaming or benchmarking setup for 400 or less bucks, and the 3870X2 is already a beast for its $450 pricetag...but once the "quadfire" drivers are available it will be a whole new ballgame for those willing to shell out the cash. Just a matter of time.

It is a shame the graphics war is getting more and more competative while prices drop and performance increases, while the CPU market is a one sided battle with relatively little progress.

Yep. The graphics card war has been heated lately, but that is good for us.