Black or Frozen Screen----but no BSOD

Hi Guys,

Title kind of tells it.  Im not sure what I did if anything to change up the behavior of my Comp. Not sure if this is the right Forum to cry my blues but im sure ill find out.

About every 15 to 30 mins my comp screen either goes black or freezes. It usually only goes black when im watching streaming programs such as Hulu. Then its only the streaming portion that goes black. I don't always watch in full screen mode.  The rest of the computer screen is usually still up.  I lose all control of everything accept my mouse which still works but will not initiate any action on the screen. When Im gaming then I just get a screen freeze.  Funny thing is my sound keeps working as if nothing had happened. I thought I was being so smart and went out and bought a new Video Card.  No difference, and now I have a new card hah.  So to avoid any further expense without some recourse I came to the only place I know that has capable people to help me narrow the source of my problem so I can fix it.   Everything else seems to be working properly but obviously there is a problem somewhere...... my comp is clean and quiet without any radical OCs of any one particular piece.

Help Please :wave: 

Kwok

Edited by Kwok

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Brother Sword_fish,

Im sorry but refresh me,,,"I"GPU?

If you are asking if the new GPU made a diff,, then no it doesn't make a difference at all.  Same thing still happening.

Edited by Kwok

hello Kwok! it's been awhile :)

yes, it's your cpu's iGPU. two graphics card in a row somewhat showed both signs looks suspicious, and i'm thinking "either" that there's something in your mobo has to blame. have'nt you tried switching your card/s with a different PCIE socket?

@Kuronin--Thx yeah I did a complete reformat in Feb' but  had no problems directly after that. 

@Sword_fish-- Good Idea, I do have another slot to try out and will do so asap.  Im thinking Mobo or Ram too but still no good idea.  My Bios settings have remained the same for almost two years.

Okay, I changed up my new Vid Card to the second slot on my Mobo.  Only time can tell now if this helps.

One other thing I noticed about my system was that My Ram allocation seems to be off. I have two sticks of 4gig ram for 8gigs total. It shows that I am using 1.2 gigs of Memory for my OS and all other applications I have running at start-up which is normal for me. But then it shows I have 5 plus gigs in reserve and only 1.4 gigs remaining of free space.  This doesn't seem right  What Exactly could be holding 5 gigs of my Ram in "Reserve" for something?  What could I possibly have done to create that situation?

Okay, I changed up my new Vid Card to the second slot on my Mobo.  Only time can tell now if this helps.

One other thing I noticed about my system was that My Ram allocation seems to be off. I have two sticks of 4gig ram for 8gigs total. It shows that I am using 1.2 gigs of Memory for my OS and all other applications I have running at start-up which is normal for me. But then it shows I have 5 plus gigs in reserve and only 1.4 gigs remaining of free space.  This doesn't seem right  What Exactly could be holding 5 gigs of my Ram in "Reserve" for something?  What could I possibly have done to create that situation?

5GB of reserved RAM?

Something is terribly wrong. Post the screenshot please..

Edited by d6bmg

Okay for some reason changing up the pcie slot for the Vid Card got me stability for about an hour.  Then I got BSOD.  Upon Restart, I read the boards here and saw that "d6bmg" is interested in my Ram allocations and as I thot something was wrong.

@d6bmg--I just went to look again at my Ram allocation and the reading is way different now and seem more inline with what it should be.  Thank God.  Im not sure of all the process of getting a screen up to OCC to I will give you my current read out......

Hardware Reserved = 88mb

In Use = 1405mb

Modified = 95mb

Standby = 710mb

Free = 5911mb

This was not the case when I looked before changing up my Vid Card to the Second PCIE slot.

Im also not sure what that 100mb Modified reading is.