Nemo

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow... thats one huge case :blink:
AGREED

That is fricken HUGE!

Look, it even comes with wings for that extra protection!
rofl3.gif

This is going to be a NICE build up Raven, even without the components yet I can tell...

Edited by Andrewr05

OMG :O ....I am so sorry.....I have'nt answered my home phone in over two years....the ringer is turned off....the only reason I have it is to receive faxes.

Look for a PM with my cell phone number...I promise I'll answer....leave a message if I don't....I always return calls B:)

wow... thats one huge case :blink:

Yeah, not exactly what I would use for a HTPC...it's just too damn big! :lol: It looks like it'd be great for a watercooled gaming rig though!

I use a little one:

P1010008.jpg

Personally, I would have gone with a smallish Silverstone or Lian-Li HTPC case, stuck a decent soundcard in it, a mediocre cpu, a nice amount of ram, and then I would have used a gigabyte i-ram or a compact flash card as the only storage space, and I would have used it just for the OS and programs. A mediocre graphics card for HD media.

Then, I would build a server. Chock it full of like Tornados, an ok CPU, lots of ram, and a crap load of hard drives. Terabytes of data. Then, of course, I would also get a huge NAS as a backup (remember, RAID is NOT for data integrity/backup), and I would also install some tuner cards.

What would I have? A server with a . load of space for movies, music, and TV. And I would load it up with those three. And then, I would just stream it to my HTPC and possibly other computers around the house.

Also, if your music comes from cd's and not the internet, I suggest re-ripping it to a lossless format, for archival purposes. That way, you can always encode it into MP3, OGG, ACC, or whatever, which you shouldn't do with MP3's. Transcoding a lossy format is bad.

All in all, I'd much rather have a mediocre HTPC that was cool, quiet and fast, than store all of my crap on there. Maybe I'd use a somewhat large HTPC case, and actually build a real PC in there, still with a compact flash card for the OS and programs, but also a HDD for games, and a real graphics card.

Also: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...3&promoid=0

$300 HD DVD/Blu-ray combo drive.

Edited by LivingGhost

Guest Raven65
Personally, I would have gone with a smallish Silverstone or Lian-Li HTPC case, stuck a decent soundcard in it, a mediocre cpu, a nice amount of ram, and then I would have used a gigabyte i-ram or a compact flash card as the only storage space, and I would have used it just for the OS and programs. A mediocre graphics card for HD media.

Then, I would build a server. Chock it full of like Tornados, an ok CPU, lots of ram, and a crap load of hard drives. Terabytes of data. Then, of course, I would also get a huge NAS as a backup (remember, RAID is NOT for data integrity/backup), and I would also install some tuner cards.

What would I have? A server with a . load of space for movies, music, and TV. And I would load it up with those three. And then, I would just stream it to my HTPC and possibly other computers around the house.

Also, if your music comes from cd's and not the internet, I suggest re-ripping it to a lossless format, for archival purposes. That way, you can always encode it into MP3, OGG, ACC, or whatever, which you shouldn't do with MP3's. Transcoding a lossy format is bad.

All in all, I'd much rather have a mediocre HTPC that was cool, quiet and fast, than store all of my crap on there. Maybe I'd use a somewhat large HTPC case, and actually build a real PC in there, still with a compact flash card for the OS and programs, but also a HDD for games, and a real graphics card.

Also: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...3&promoid=0

$300 HD DVD/Blu-ray combo drive.

Everyone has their own tastes. So that is why there are so many options out there.

I'm writing this to have some good fun and also for the enjoyment of the readers while showcasing the components that I chose to use. Have some fun with the articles to come. As you can see there is some humor in it. Sit back and Enjoy.

As you can see there is some humor in it. Sit back and Enjoy.

I thought it was pretty funny too. :P

I like the case though, I may use it for a future gaming build since it's so roomy. :)

Uhhh...yeah it is. That's the whole point of using a RAID.

Not really. RAID is used for speed. Real backup situations only use RAID if they have some huge file that you can't split up onto multiple harddrives.

Everyone has their own tastes. So that is why there are so many options out there.

I'm writing this to have some good fun and also for the enjoyment of the readers while showcasing the components that I chose to use. Have some fun with the articles to come. As you can see there is some humor in it. Sit back and Enjoy.

That's why I said "Personally." :P

Not really. RAID is used for speed. Real backup situations only use RAID if they have some huge file that you can't split up onto multiple harddrives.

No. RAID is used for redundancy...that's the entire reason it was developed (hence the name).