So.... Now I Get To Walk The EFF Out Of My Job

Rokkaholik

Very true.

Also, I'm sure you will, buy make sure you actually know what you're talking about. I can't stand it when ask how much horsepower a car has and the salesman looks at the sheet on the window. Like really? I can't read it on my own?

You should ask them where the max torque and max horespower occur on the power band...let's see their mighty paper answer that one :lol:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true.

Also, I'm sure you will, buy make sure you actually know what you're talking about. I can't stand it when ask how much horsepower a car has and the salesman looks at the sheet on the window. Like really? I can't read it on my own?

You should ask them where the max torque and max horespower occur on the power band...let's see their mighty paper answer that one :lol:

They say they can look it up for me. :pfp: I've also been given that answer about the weight of a vehicle.

Some car salesmen/women are given just enough information to sell you the car. For anything real technical they either have to look it up or point you to a mechanic. I interviewed for a sales position at a dealership last year and that's basically what I was told, since I had even asked about what kind of technical know-how is involved. I imagine there are differences at every dealership, but so long as a sale is made, I don't think they'd care if the salesmen know how much horsepower car A has versus car B.

@Rokk, glad to hear you're finally out of your old position, or soon will be. Being a salesman isn't for everyone, but if you could upsell stuff at that music job you had, I think you'll do just fine selling cars.

Very true.

They say they can look it up for me. :pfp: I've also been given that answer about the weight of a vehicle.

Well if it's a modern car, you can be sure it will be over 3000 pounds. New cars are so fat nowadays with "safety features"....say maybe if they didn't weigh so much, they wouldn't be so dangerous lol.

Some car salesmen/women are given just enough information to sell you the car. For anything real technical they either have to look it up or point you to a mechanic. I interviewed for a sales position at a dealership last year and that's basically what I was told, since I had even asked about what kind of technical know-how is involved. I imagine there are differences at every dealership, but so long as a sale is made, I don't think they'd care if the salesmen know how much horsepower car A has versus car B.

@Rokk, glad to hear you're finally out of your old position, or soon will be. Being a salesman isn't for everyone, but if you could upsell stuff at that music job you had, I think you'll do just fine selling cars.

Yeah but that's what I mean, he'll likely enjoy learning the information (my assumption, given his mechanical background) AND he'd have yet another edge over the other sales men and women on staff.

I really hate car sales people. You will start out O/K and then they will turn you into .................

Well, you know what I mean - not so great. But, good luck with the job.

There, there, it's not because MOST of the car salesmen are obnoxious douchebags that this guy will...

Giving people information is not what will make them buy. You must convince them that THIS is the car. Sure you can acknowledge that Toyota exists, but they came at

Ford for a reason. For my part, I'd SO take a Ford Fusion w/ 2L Ecoboost engine. Those have an awesome look with a nice powerful engine, but frugal if you keep your feet

from flooring it. They now have a warranty on paint and rust (where I still think that it is their weakness), so you if you got rust, you go back at the shop and ask for a repaint.

I'm not a fan of technology in a car tho, nor of drive-by-wire.

What did you build actually? HVAC units or sealed systems for walk-in coolers?  Cold package boxes? 

We build Refrigerated Fry Dispensers, Ice Cream Dispensers, Trash Compactors, Cooling units for buffets, Candy Dispensers, etc...

New guy training is going OK... Just trying to slow him down a little as he's slightly overzealous. I know there's a LOT of info to be learned, but he's trying to tackle everything without letting me finish instructions as to why something is to be done this way or that, etc... He ends up skipping steps and when I redirect him back to what he forgot to do, I get the "I was going to get back to that" BS... No... you just got ahead of yourself and forgot. Admit it :no:

The Brazing is kinda hard. The stuff he did was a lower temp stuff house stuff. We use acetylene/oxygen and Sil-fos 15 for our lines and some of them are in cramped quarters of the machines. He tries to rush it and cram the stick in there and it runs like water. I've been trying to show him how to get the 2 pieces turning red and then backing off the flame while "painting" the sil-fos onto the red copper with a light touch so it'll flow into the seam like water and then cool quickly since the flame was pulled back 3-4 inches. I'm also trying to teach him to take angles where the torch has an avenue of retreat to back off the flame when needed instead of aiming right at the copper line and accidently burning whatever is behind it as well. He's starting off just like I did when I started, I got impatient and tried to force things and ended up burning more holes than anything. :whistling:

I have Monday and Tuesday to let him do the brazing with me guiding him now. I let him practice on scrap copper tubes and some older straight connectors and "T" connectors today. I think he'll be OK. I already warned him about Mary and her tool thievery and tattle tale tactics. She comes down into my work area several times a day now to "monitor" me training him. :rolleyes:  She sure is worried about things that absolutely have ZERO effect on her or her job, almost to OCD levels. I wonder if she'll even sleep this weekend... lol. My trainee said he lives by her and thought she was nice, but now says he's seeing a new side of her he's not impressed with at work. :lol:

What a lot of people really do not understand is that brazing and welding are an art form. Yes, it is hard work, and, in past years, when I was younger, I tried to teach friends how to do it and they simply "could never get it". Again, good luck in the new job. Lots to learn and, like your old job, I am sure, will teach you another art form called "sales" - a skill you have to have patience for.