Help on OC's ram

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my board was a wonky ASRock board...I'm pretty sure it's not a standard thing on AMD boards. :P

Yes, plus it was the fx which adds a few features also, and I don't think the xmp will even show up with the phenom 2 cpu's. Something about them supposed to only run with 1300 mhz memory.:mellow:

Yes, plus it was the fx which adds a few features also, and I don't think the xmp will even show up with the phenom 2 cpu's. Something about them supposed to only run with 1300 mhz memory.:mellow:

I ran it with both. The BIOS didn't change at all between the two chips I had in the board (an 8120 and an X3 720).

I'm thinking it's probably one of the very few AMD boards that will do XMP profiles.

I ran it with both. The BIOS didn't change at all between the two chips I had in the board (an 8120 and an X3 720).

I'm thinking it's probably one of the very few AMD boards that will do XMP profiles.

I do believe your right on with that, went threw every item for memory in my bios and nothing about xmp profile, yet it's showing in cpuz. Luck of the draw I guess,lol .:cry:

Waco, not to start an argument but your statement is way too negative. Some apps can see up to a 10% increase in performance with overclocked ram. Some see little.

Tuning Ram can make a difference also. Some apps will run better performance at 1600MHz with tight timings even over overclocked ram, at 2400MHz.

The overview would be state what apps he uses the system for and run some benchmarks to see what frequency and timings perform better and thats where the ram needs to be tuned.

Its a real crap shoot when it comes to timings vs speed vs latency and there is a fine line where that boundary is crossed.

Waco, not to start an argument but your statement is way too negative. Some apps can see up to a 10% increase in performance with overclocked ram. Some see little.

Not trying to be negative...I just don't think the time investment for overclocking RAM properly is worth it for such small increases in 99% of what people do. They'll gain far more from overclocking their CPU or GPUs and both take less time to do properly than memory overclocking. :cheers:

Not trying to be negative...I just don't think the time investment for overclocking RAM properly is worth it for such small increases in 99% of what people do. They'll gain far more from overclocking their CPU or GPUs and both take less time to do properly than memory overclocking. :cheers:

I agree to an extent but some apps have far greater increase in performance with overclocking. Some 10%. If your CPU is maxed out why not overclock the emmory expecially with the XMP profiles..... This is an overclocking forum isn't it?