I've hit a wall at 4.4Ghz, need help

I'm in the process of overclocking my i5-3570k on my Asrock Extreme4 mobo. I just can't seem to get past 4.4Ghz without going crazy on the voltage. I'm currently at 1.272V with LLC at level 1. It's completely stable with temps under load in the 60s with my Antec Khuler 620 . Any ideas? I can get screen shots of BIOS if needed. Maybe my chip is just not a good overclocker?

Every chip have a sweet spot upto which it overclocks easily, and if you go over that sweet spot, you are going to need more & more vcore.

In your case the max sweet spot of your chip is 4.4GHz.

Every chip have a sweet spot upto which it overclocks easily, and if you go over that sweet spot, you are going to need more & more vcore.

In your case the max sweet spot of your chip is 4.4GHz.

Alright, Thanks! Just making sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't sweat it, Only mint 3570k's will run 4.8+ on any reasonable Vcore. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable running the 3570k at 1.5v for any length of time, but hey you bought it its yours to do what you will :)

If you can hit 4.5-4.6 with less then 1.3v then you have a good chip. I was lucky I assume as mine will hit 4.6@ 1.24 with minimal UEFI tinkering.

You never know how good a chip ull get. ive heard some people only hitting 4.6 with 1.4v and a few people validated 4.6 with only 1.21v. if you start having a temp issue, look into deliding it with a quality TIM like AC5. I had to do it with my 3770k but not my 3570k. 

Edited by DnaAngel

Yeah the 3000 series chips don't have as high an overclocking headroom though do slightly more work per clock cycle so it all balances out.

4.4ghz is still great

Actually, IB is a much better OCer then SB under extreme conditions like LN2 ect. SB suffered emensley from the "Cold Bug". But yes, for a normal OCing, the IB will give you hell

I had loads of fun tinkering with my ole 2600k then I ever did with the 3770k. IB just seems to be too finicky

Edited by DnaAngel