Technics SU-X301 HTPC Stealth Mod

Stonerboy779

Decided to treat myself for my birthday which is coming up on the second of Feb.

Here are the parts I will start with.

Case - SilverStone LC10-E Black - Perfect case with 7 internal 3.5" bays which will accommodate my NAS (planning on going with 3x 2TB HDDs) as well as backup drives (will mod some, well 3x 2TB usb 3.0 WD external drives. SO they are mounted in the case but plugged in via their usb cables at rear, so when not in use they will be simpily unplugged. They will just be straight clones of the media drives and updated when necessary). The case also has a great seamless finish to the front with a nicely integrated OP drive cover which will look great no matter where it sits.

CPU - Intel Core i3 2100 - Perfect low power CPU that will happily manage some light gaming (I am contemplating putting one of the 560s in this and using switchable graphics so the 95 of the time only the HD2000 graphics will be used)

Mobo - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard - Has all the connections I need, decent cooling for 24/7 running and may as well go for an ATX board my case will fit it with ease.

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-U9B SE2 - Noise is a huge thing as well as cool running and considering the prices of other low profile coolers there really was nothing to stop this being a great choice.

PSU - Corsair CX-600 V2 Power Supply - Overkill... maybe but it will run dead silent once i mod it and it will easily handle the 7770 I plan on installing in the future and come the end of the day when it is time to replace things I could remove every part of the build and make a decent low-mid end gaming rig.

OP Drive - Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW OEM - Pure Black unlike many other OP drives so that alone was enough for me to spend an extra $4 on it.

RAM - G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ (2x2GB) DDR3 - RAM is RAM is RAM and this suits my need perfectly and cheaply.

Case Fans - Noctua NF-R8 80mm Fan - Again noise is a huge thing.

TV Tuner - Hauppauge HVR2200 MCE PCIe Dual Hybrid - Already have a Hauppauge remote and this will work perfectly for recording and watching HD TV.

To be added later.

- New HDDS

- Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G

The Case

LC10-E-silvestone_small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15/02/2012

Stuff is here now and the build can begin soon

6878850241_2488634a07.jpg

Big pile-o-crap

The case

6878854169_ee8b8e3fc6.jpg

Pretty face

6878858321_dbb2dfa0f7.jpg

PSU vent and buttons, connectors ect.

6878863163_acf66925b0.jpg

The rear, plenty of expansion contemplating modding four of the brackets for an exhaust fan

6878868041_e73e548b45.jpg

CPU vent

6878873175_2edd8bf276.jpg

Very solid bar across the case you can even lift and move the whole case with it, everything is rather thick and it means there is a decent bit of weight to it.

6878877857_2134ce5c4e.jpg

The front fan slots need to remove the covers first

6878882461_e6b0392358.jpg

A shot of the front stealth vents and the rubber feet

6878886561_7346ae8d59.jpg

Ohh a box of goodies what is inside

6878891009_af334e768b.jpg

Brackets to mount a HDD in one of the 5 1/2" bays. more screws than you could point a dead cat at as well as a replacement rubber rin for the feet.

The more important thing howevet is what was found in the little brown paper square. A lovely piece of black aluminium to make the DVD drive stealth and a strip of 3M double sided tape.

The Cooler

DSC00465

Ummmmmm it should fit :lol: if not there is a pc at the front door in desperate need of a new cooler it only has an intel stock cooler.

6878901227_16b4605d1e.jpg

Exceptionally well packed very happy

6878905889_6ef7c57c3e.jpg

Every part of it expresses th quality with which it was made however the sleeve on the fan is rather sticky

6878910299_9d3ef43ba5.jpg

All the mounting hardware, lna and ulna adaptors, instructions and the second fan

More to come tomorrow no time to build now because off to go get dads new car soon.

^ This! :P

Just curious, how much is the case? Really want one for my upcoming HTPC build :D

For me $119

On newegg $109

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163118

IMO it is definitely worth checking out the entire range of Silverstone HTPC Cases a good cheap one is the Milo however there are some in the lacassa range that have LCD screens and one I believe also has a small colour touch screen. Antic also makes some good HTPC cases.

I choose the LC-10 E due to price and 7HDD compatability.

For me $119

On newegg $109

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163118

IMO it is definitely worth checking out the entire range of Silverstone HTPC Cases a good cheap one is the Milo however there are some in the lacassa range that have LCD screens and one I believe also has a small colour touch screen. Antic also makes some good HTPC cases.

I choose the LC-10 E due to price and 7HDD compatability.

Just checked at my retailers and they said it isn't available here :cry:

Any idea where to get one in Melbourne?

You are in Melb? :lol:

Just follow the link in my first post it goes to PCCG

You can either get it shipped (to give an idea that build list the entire thing was quoted at sub $30 shipping to Knox)

I don't bother tho I don't trust Aus post so I take the 20min drive from my place and go to little dingly and pick up my orders.

You can either get it shipped (to give an idea that build list the entire thing was quoted at sub $30 shipping to Knox)

I don't bother tho I don't trust Aus post so I take the 20min drive from my place and go to little dingly and pick up my orders.

i thought about doing that, but then i realised i would have to drive 3400 km

lucky bastard

Nono, I've a relative there.. Figure he could bring it back when he comes back in July..

PCCG is based in Melbourne is it? Lucky me.. :lol:

i thought about doing that, but then i realised i would have to drive 3400 km

lucky bastard

I'd have to Fly 5207KM :doh:

Modding the PSU

6883508779_ee9ff7a113.jpg

6883515583_bc5bf06964.jpg

Goodbye warranty

6883521173_ab2f703ed1.jpg

All complete now and yes I did the paper clip test before modding. It still works now and runs very quiet pulling lots of air. it will be used to exhaust some heat from the case. I could have had a better PSU than this Corsair 600watt but I knew I would be modding it.

6883503311_bdb0294d0c.jpg

And a look at the stock Yate Loon fan

Off to buy american honey and coke party time for no other reasoon than a party.

Will try do some more tomorrrow.