OC'ing Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G -**Update** - New Bios works!

roadske

Thanks again for the warm welcome I've received here...I just built this new PC yesterday, and Its great...here are the specs. I'll get some pics up when I get home, at work atm.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3ghz 6mb Cache

Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G P35 Motherboard

Freezer 7 Pro Heatsink

OCZ Platinum 4GB(4 x 1GB) DDR2 800

XFX Geforce 8800GT 670 MHZ 512 MB XXX Alpha Dog Edition

CORSAIR 550W 550W Power Supply

WD 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

NZXT Alpha Black ATX Mid Tower w/ 2 extra 120mm Fans

SAMSUNG 20X DVD

Edited by roadske

well I think you biggest problem is you might not have the correct bios for the E8400.

On the gigabyte site, does it say anything about where they added Microcoding for the Intel Exxx series ?

The E8400 is new 45 nm technology and requires a Bios flash to get the system to post correctly.

I would check on gigabyte's website and see if you can find a bios for your motherboard that supports the E8xxx series.

Most certainly if you haven't flashed your bios since you got the motherboard in the mail, the e8xxx series isn't supported in that bios version

as most likey when gigabyte shipped the board to your distributor 45 nm processors weren't released yet.

Actually, this card was shipped just recently, which is why theres only 2 versions of Bios available. It supported 45nm from the beginning (If im not mistaken?)

Either way, I have the newest release listed which is F2

download the @Bios program from gigbytes website and see if you can OC it than. and remeber to save your old bios because there no going back afterwords.

edit: i just used @bios myself and to my surpirsed i was using F7 Bios which doesnt even support my CPU, i dont know how i missed that. the newest one is F11 which came out under a month ago, i suggest you get that. i just did a quick benchmark and my cpu scores went up (not by much). it was being extremely low voltage now, its correctly sitting at 1.3v where as it was at 1.1v before

Ok, but...arent Bios tied to a specific motherboard model? I know there's some Gigabyte boards that are all the way up to F10 - F11...but since my model just came out, the 'newest' revision for that board is F2, and thats what I have. If I go to the site and try to 'update' to a newer Bios, the newest one that shows is the F2 version...

So...I guess my question is...Can I use another F-version than the one specifically tied to my MB?

And Kingdingeling...I've tested at stock, everythings fine. Hell, my CPU is idling around 29-32C and 8800GT OC'ed at 670 is ~35C.

I so want to overclock this beast!

Does that MB have onboard graphics also? Also on the @bios, that is a good way to screw up your MB flashing through windows is risky enough and add the internet to it, not me... Use a floppy disk or USB drive to flash from...

Does that MB have onboard graphics also? Also on the @bios, that is a good way to screw up your MB flashing through windows is risky enough and add the internet to it, not me... Use a floppy disk or USB drive to flash from...

who has a floopy drive anymore, last one i used was 7 years ago.