Photo
- - - - -

How do you find an IP Address on a forum?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 Assassin X

Assassin X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

Ok I get computers but I don't get stuff when it comes to looking up like a IP. Basically some guys harrassing me on a forum and posting my information. He found out my IP from the forum he said and from that got my name, address....etc.

I want to know how you look up someones IP so I can contact his ISP. How do you find someones IP if they are on a forum like he did mine? He has no email listed or anything.

BTW I wasn't sure if this was the right section.

-Quad Core AMD Phenom X4 9750
-ATI RADEON HD 4850 1GB DDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card
-1200 Watt Antec Power Supply
-Pegatron M22N7B-LA Motherboard
-8Gb DDR2 Ram (x4 2Gb sticks in 4 slots)
-2x 1TB HD (WD's)
-Heatsink/CPU cooler (pretty dang huge) (temp at 32c)
-CD/DVD-DL Lightsribe writer
-Win 7 64 Home Premium
-Fatality Sound Card (Sound Blaster)

#2 suchuwato

suchuwato

suchapotato was formerly known as lego

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6310 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

He's probably got access to the admin contols on that board (lists user's IP addresses so they can get banned, etc...)

While it's possible he has your name and address, it's unlikely. My IP traces to Milton Keynes (which isn't where I am)

#3 Kash

Kash

Long Time Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5491 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:52 PM

How do you get an IP address on a forum? Why you simply ask a moderator, that's how! :P

Intel i5 2500K | Gigabyte Z68
16GB G.Skill PC3-12800 (9-9-9-24) | EVGA GeForce GTX 560

#4 94Camaro

94Camaro

Veritas. Aequitas.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:48 PM

He's probably got access to the admin contols on that board (lists user's IP addresses so they can get banned, etc...)

While it's possible he has your name and address, it's unlikely. My IP traces to Milton Keynes (which isn't where I am)

Yeah, you're in Norwich... :shiftyeyesevillaugh: :lol:

Even if he does have your IP, for him to reliably associate it with your actual address he'd have to have access to your ISPs logs as far as I know.

Posted Image
Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 -- ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 -- 1GB PC5400 -- Win XP MCE
Mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe. - Galileo Galilei

#5 Kamikaze_Badger

Kamikaze_Badger

(⌐■_■)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8337 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:46 AM

Invite him to an MSN chat, and work some magic with cmd.
Is my Razer Diamondback retro yet?
s

Graciously recommended from KB, is some muffricken Christian death metal. It is a must hear, it pushes envelopes, explores new ground. Words can't describe just now incredibly awesome this is. Cue the alter smashing, bench flipping, and bible reading while thrashing away at guitars and drums.

I witnessed regional Special Olympics and Challenge Day; there's far more intellect there than there is in internet arguments.

#6 Comp Dude2

Comp Dude2

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1998 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:34 AM

why dont you go to the admin and get him banned regardless of wether he actually has your details. Any decent forum's will sort that out for you and if they dont they arent worth using.

Posted Image

#7 nightsider

nightsider

Live for the moment

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:04 AM

why dont you go to the admin and get him banned regardless of wether he actually has your details. Any decent forum's will sort that out for you and if they dont they arent worth using.

i used to run my own forum it was small time but the only way you can find out some ons ip address is via the administration controls in the admin cp of the forum
check out my site
2GB Corsiar XMS DDR2 Twin2X
250GB maxtor HDD
EVGA Nvidia 88GTS 320MB
Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
Gigabyte GA945GCM-S2L

#8 Comp Dude2

Comp Dude2

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1998 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:16 AM

yea, i have modded in a couple phpBB forums and all the mods + admins can find that stuff out but it is irrelevant imo, the issue is the guy being a dick, not him having the IP

Posted Image

#9 Assassin X

Assassin X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:43 AM

Sadly the admin of the site left it to a new guy who after some people complained about the moderators being "nazis" (to much power) he said there would be pretty much no more moderation. So there is no more moderation any more (barley).

I know the guy thats being an idiot isn't liked by the mods but none of them have the ability to ban him. Thats why I was wondering how he got my Ip like he did. He says "Any ***** can see an IP on this forum!" I figured there was something I was missing about forums.

BTW this is the info about the forum if you wanted to see what kind it is or however that works: