AMD Athlon X2 3600 Brisbane review.

Guest JC316

have gotten my Brisbane and done enough tweaking to do a review.

The stock out of the box performance is lower, but since it's the slowest X2 there is, this is to be expected. The Windows load times are exceptional even on stock settings and 667 ram. It handles multitasking VERY well. I was copying my files back on to the harddrive while surfing the internet and there were zero slowdowns, something that was near impossible on my single core 3800+.

Stock temperatures were 20*C idle and 25*C load with my Arctic freezer pro at half power (1000 RPM).

Overclocking.

I quickly found out that this thing will go to a very high level with the stock voltage. I got it to 2.75GHZ stable but I have hit a wall. The wall is in the form of my cheaper memory, if I could get it to 2.4V, I am sure I could make 3 GHZ. Overclocked performance is outstanding IMO, I have noticed very good improvements in all aplications. It starts so fast that catching the bios screen is like playing whack a mole .

Temperatures are again OUTSTANDING. 25*c Idle 33*c load with my AC pro at 3/4 power (1800RPM).

Other notible mentions is that the video card runs faster with this cpu.

All in all I am giving this an 8/10 for excellent performance and price. If I can get it to OC some more, it will be 9/10. I fully reccomend this CPU for people that want performance on a budget.

shortest review i've ever seen!

how much did you pay for that cpu

Perhaps rather than downing it, you should tell me what it is you want to know?

I gave 168 for the CPU and a Biostar Tforce 550 motherboard.

i wasn't really downing it :unsure:

so you paid $168 for the cpu & mobo? thats not bad

It was a newegg special, the CPU is normally $115, which is the cheapest dual core you can find.

Well, I guess my review is kinda barren, so here are my benchmark results. These were done at 2.75GHZ, with the ram at 550mhz 4-4-4-12 2T timings.

Super Pi

superpi2-1.jpg

Science Mark

scmark2-1.jpg

Nbench

Nbench2.jpg

Sandra Multi

sandramulti2.jpg

Sandra Arithmetic

sandraarith2.jpg

2.75Ghz is a VERY nice speed for such a cheap motherboard and chip. The temps look pretty nice too.

What are you using to test stability at 2.75? Is that 24 Prime stable, or just SuperPi stable?

It's super Pi stable and Prime stable for at least 1 hour 30 minutes. Most reccomend a 24 hour deal, but since Prime stresses the CPU way beyond anything any application will do and I rarely game over 1 hour 30 minutes, and I am impatient, I only go to 1 hour 30 minutes.

It's super Pi stable and Prime stable for at least 1 hour 30 minutes. Most reccomend a 24 hour deal, but since Prime stresses the CPU way beyond anything any application will do and I rarely game over 1 hour 30 minutes, and I am impatient, I only go to 1 hour 30 minutes.

Well, to each his own I guess... But you won't find many people who would consider 1.5hrs to be "stable". Which is fine, but just kind of misleading when you're comparing one chip at 1.5hrs with another at 24hrs.

Why not test it overnight? Impatience can't really be much of a problem while you're sleeping. I always start mine when I go to bed, and let it run all night and while I work. You can usually get ~18hrs that way without any real downtime.

Well, to each his own I guess... But you won't find many people who would consider 1.5hrs to be "stable". Which is fine, but just kind of misleading when you're comparing one chip at 1.5hrs with another at 24hrs.

Why not test it overnight? Impatience can't really be much of a problem while you're sleeping. I always start mine when I go to bed, and let it run all night and while I work. You can usually get ~18hrs that way without any real downtime.

Because my computer is lit up like a neon sign :). There was a big disscussion on the prime 95 on a different forum and nearly all agreed that it's highly overrated. What is the difference in 1.5 hours and 18 hours? I never do anything that's going to stress it for 18 hours straight, so why should I care if it's not stable 18 hours?

Why not just one hour? Why not just 20 minutes? Why not just a few SuperPi 1Ms?

Everyone has to draw their own line, like I said. If 1.5 hours works for you, then great. But as I said, I doubt you'll find many people to agree. If some forum that you read said that Prime is overrated, hey that's cool. But the people that don't care much for stability testing are usually the same people that end up having some "weird" problem that they can't explain. And I think if you read any reputable OC site, you'll see that most people agree that stability testing is anything but "overrated". I have seen my games crash on settings that were 5hrs+ stable, and it turns out it needed more voltage.

My curiosity has always been... If you're not using your PC for anything that stresses it, then what's the point of overclocking? What's the benefit of that extra speed if it's not being put to use?