20 replies to this topic

#1 Nerm

Nerm

OCC Beefcake

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9698 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:56 PM

Ok... this is a place that we can kinda orginize many of the commonly asked questions about Extreme Cooling.

Feel free to submit to this thread in a Q&A format... a staff member will edit this message from time to time with the new FAQ. :)

If you have an actual question, post in the forum, not this thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search The Forums : Asking For Help Guidelines : Overclockers Club Site Rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rig #1 :: Q6600 @ 3.8Ghz :: 2x HD4850 Crossfire :: Asus P5K3 Premium Black Pearl ::

Rig #2 :: i7-3930K @ 4Ghz :: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series :: Evga GTX 670 :: Asus P9X79 Pro :: OCZ Vertex 256GB SSD ::
HTPC :: 4850e :: HD2600xt :: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H :: 1TB Storage ::
OCC Site Rules :: Site Help FAQ :: Extreme Cooling FAQ :: OCC Benchmark Team

#2 tbone2sk

tbone2sk

Rubber Band Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:58 PM

Q: How do I build a phase charge cooler?

A: Follow this guide.
http://www.vr-zone.c...x.cgi?i=714&s=1

- Refrigeration Basics 1 -

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=713&s=1

- Refrigeration Basics 2 -

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=714&s=1

- Regasing a Prometiea/Vapochill -

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=716&s=1

- Insulation Guide -

http://wwww.vr-zone.com/?i=230&s=1

- Mounting a Prommie onto the GPU -

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=172&s=1

- Dual Cascade Cooler -

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=618&s=1

- Dual-Evaporator Cooler -

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=1227&s=1

Mounting Hole database for the convenience of people DIYing evaps or adapting Vapochills to fit the new sockets. Includes Graphics cards as well.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=1356&s=1

Takes to VR-Zone to making these guides, and Nuclear at virtaul-octane.net for putting all the links together.

#3 Nerm

Nerm

OCC Beefcake

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9698 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:19 PM

This is just a small intro to Dry Ice(DICE) with answer's to some basic DICE questions. If anyone has anything to add to it or if you see any mistakes please feel free to PM me. Also, any added tips will be credited to the author.

What is Dry Ice?
Dry Ice abbreviated in this article as "DICE" is basically carbon dioxide in a solid frozen state. DICE is commonly used for keeping things frozen due to a sublimation temperature of -78.5°C. Many people have used DICE in their freezers when their electricity has been off for extensive periods of time. DICE works as an excellent coolant not only due to its cold temperatures but also because it sublimates (changes from a solid to gas without a liquid stage) in normal atmospheric conditions.

Where can I get DICE?
Praxair and Airgas are two of the most common places to get DICE in the U.S. & Canada. DICE can sometimes also be obtained from your local ice cream shop, grocery stores, and party supply stores.
Here is a link to the Dry Ice Directory

What material is best for a DICE container?
Most commonly used materials are copper and aluminum. However, copper is by far the preferred choice for most computer cooling applications.

Is DICE dangerous?
Not really as long as you use it with some common sense. Ventilation is important and DICE should always be used in a well ventilated area. If DICE comes in direct contact with skin it can cause burn's, so gloves and a long sleeve shirt are recommended.

How much does DICE cost?
That can depend on your location and the place you are buying it from. Check above for a list of DICE sellers.

What kind of temp's can I expect using DICE?
Normally between -60*C to -70*C.

What kind of fluid should I use, and how much should I add in the container with the DICE?
You want to use a fluid that is mostly pure alcohol like everclear, acetone, ethenol, etc. I have heard it claimed that ethonal is the best to mix with DICE, but I haven't personally confirmed this. You don't want to add more than 10%-15% of fluid in your DICE container.

Lastly!
Remember that insulation is your best friend when using any kind of extreme cooling. It is best to use closed cell foam insulation. You will find when doing any kind of cooling where condensation is a factor that foam tape insulation is your best friend. Di-electric grease is also important to have. When in doubt go all out.

Rig #1 :: Q6600 @ 3.8Ghz :: 2x HD4850 Crossfire :: Asus P5K3 Premium Black Pearl ::

Rig #2 :: i7-3930K @ 4Ghz :: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series :: Evga GTX 670 :: Asus P9X79 Pro :: OCZ Vertex 256GB SSD ::

#4 CoolMaster

CoolMaster

From Now On

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1983 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:41 AM

This is just a small intro to Dry Ice(DICE) with answer's to some basic DICE questions. If anyone has anything to add to it or if you see any mistakes please feel free to PM me. Also, any added tips will be credited to the author.

What is Dry Ice?
Dry Ice abbreviated in this article as "DICE" is basically carbon dioxide in a solid frozen state. DICE is commonly used for keeping things frozen due to a sublimation temperature of -78.5°C. Many people have used DICE in their freezers when their electricity has been off for extensive periods of time. DICE works as an excellent coolant not only due to its cold temperatures but also because it sublimates (changes from a solid to gas without a liquid stage) in normal atmospheric conditions.

Where can I get DICE?
Praxair and Airgas are two of the most common places to get DICE in the U.S. & Canada. DICE can sometimes also be obtained from your local ice cream shop, grocery stores, and party supply stores.
Here is a link to the Dry Ice Directory

What material is best for a DICE container?
Most commonly used materials are copper and aluminum. However, copper is by far the preferred choice for most computer cooling applications.

Is DICE dangerous?
Not really as long as you use it with some common sense. Ventilation is important and DICE should always be used in a well ventilated area. If DICE comes in direct contact with skin it can cause burn's, so gloves and a long sleeve shirt are recommended.

How much does DICE cost?
That can depend on your location and the place you are buying it from. Check above for a list of DICE sellers.

What kind of temp's can I expect using DICE?
Normally between -60*C to -70*C.

What kind of fluid should I use, and how much should I add in the container with the DICE?
You want to use a fluid that is mostly pure alcohol like everclear, acetone, ethenol, etc. I have heard it claimed that ethonal is the best to mix with DICE, but I haven't personally confirmed this. You don't want to add more than 10%-15% of fluid in your DICE container.

Lastly!
Remember that insulation is your best friend when using any kind of extreme cooling. It is best to use closed cell foam insulation. You will find when doing any kind of cooling where condensation is a factor that foam tape insulation is your best friend. Di-electric grease is also important to have. When in doubt go all out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice Nice,
also alot of ice cream stores sell dry ice, I know it sounds retarded but it's true

cause I had to use dry ice for a science experiement one time, so I went there and they gave me some FOR FREE
maybe it's diff dry ice tho iDK?

#5 Nerm

Nerm

OCC Beefcake

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9698 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:05 AM

How much does a phase change unit normally cost?
Mach II = ~$750
Mach II GT = ~$850
Vapochill XE and XE II = ~$700+
Vapochill LS = ~$850+
Custom Single Stage Unit = ~$450+

#6 cowbynit

cowbynit

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:06 PM

It looks awesome... My father owns an HVAC company so i have grown up with it and I have always been curious about using these methods to cool a pc just to see what kindof overclocking could be achieved... Now that I have seen someone else do it, I may just have to try it myself. I just have to clean out my garage first and get a really good set of noise canceling headphones! HAHA!
| Antec900 Case w/Thermaltake Toughpower 850W | ASUS Striker Extreme | Intel Core 2Duo E6850 w/ Zalman CNPS9700 Fan | 4Gigs of Kingston HyperX (PC6400) Dual Channel | eVGA GeForce 8800GT Superclocked w/ Thermaltake DuOrb Cooler | Seagate Barricuda 7200.11 500Gb w/ 32Mb Cache (SATA) |

#7 DLS2008

DLS2008

Wait, what goes here?

• Folding Member
  • 1047 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:23 AM

Nerm, you may want to add that many party stores and even a lot of Meijers sell dry ice. That dry ice directory only lists one seller for my area code, but I know for a fact that there are about 8 or 10 different stores that sell it. I've bought it at Meijers and friends have gone to some liquor stores.

Thermaltake Armor+ w/ 4 Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E fans/Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 motherboard/Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.6 GHz (450x8) 1.280V (CPU-z)/PC P&C Silencer 750W
HP w2408h 24" Widescreen 1920 x 1200/Zalman CNPS9700 HSF/2 x ATI Radeon HD 4870 @ 750 MHz Core/900 MHz Memory/Vista Ultimate 32-bit/4 x 500 GB WD Caviar in RAID 10
Sound Blaster Audigy X-Fi ExtremeGamer/4 GB (2x2GB) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1080 5-5-5-18/2 x 320 GB WD Caviar in RAID 1
http://overclockersc...me=DLS2008&.jpg

#8 philbrown23

philbrown23

N00b for sure

• Folding Member
  • 1413 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:31 AM

wow, I just found this section. How long has it been here?got some nice info, I was thinking maybe in the DICE section you could put that if you add to much alcohol/acetone etc.. that your cpu will skyrocket fast. Happened to me the first time I ran DICE. Just a thought.

ASUS MAXIMUS 2 FORMULA/INTEL C2Q Q6600//8GB DDR2//ULTRA X3 1KW//HD4850-HD4850 IN CROSSFIRE// 1 WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB,1 WESTERN DIGITAL 1000GB //BENCH TABLE//WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE TWEAKED :D

http://valid.x86-sec...c.php?id=434759

Database Entry * Forum Wars Scores * Summer Warz Calculator

#9 Geekspeak411

Geekspeak411

Review Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:46 PM

So how much of a boost could I expect from a phase change cooler, compared to a TEC cooler? Or which would be better for like a 4.2-4.7 overclock on a Q9450 TEC or standard water? Which should I go for?

i7 930 @ 4.23 GHz P95 Stable, Rampage III Extreme, XFX HD6970, 12GB Mushkin @ 1700 MHz 9-9-9-24

-|- 3D Mark Competition -|- Follow OCC on Posted Image -|- CES 2010 Coverage -|-
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Renigade

Renigade

Seminole

• Folding Member
  • 682 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:07 AM

BROKEN LINK

Q: How do I build a phase charge cooler?

A: Follow this guide.
http://www.vr-zone.c...x.cgi?i=714&s=1

#11 Geekspeak411

Geekspeak411

Review Nut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

It seems all of the vrzone links go to pages that are no longer supported. Could someone update post with their new locations?

i7 930 @ 4.23 GHz P95 Stable, Rampage III Extreme, XFX HD6970, 12GB Mushkin @ 1700 MHz 9-9-9-24

-|- 3D Mark Competition -|- Follow OCC on Posted Image -|- CES 2010 Coverage -|-
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 soyuz

soyuz

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:38 PM

So I take it that Phase Change Cooling is the best form of cooling available. Y/N.

Where can I get the most info on this subject? :thumbs-up: