3TB drive Formats As 746.39GB

wingspar

I just installed a new 3TB drive in an external case to be used for backup.  It replaces a 1TB drive.  I formatted it and it only shows as a 746GB drive.  Why is it doing this?

OS is Win 7.

Fire up diskpart from the command line (admin rights) and erase all partitions/volumes.  Then reformat it via Disk Management.

If that doesn't work, I'd check so see if you can format it properly by mounting it via regular SATA cables, it might be the enclosure interfering.

I use a wd 2tb passport for bu's of everything and have never had a problem with it (knock on wood ). I wonder if you put the other hd in your pc just to format it to 2 partitions would it work in your old case ?

I used to have the occasional problem setting up and formatting and/or cloning hard disks.

I went thru several so called solutions which often did not work.

The freebees definitely do not.

I finally invested in MiniTool Partition Pro - $59

Since installing I always been able to clone/format/move/resize/etc any disk.

And, you can easily create a bootable CD or USB. - I use Rufus for the USB bootable

http://minitool.com/

It turns out that the external case was the problem.  The Vantec case I mentioned earlier arrived today and the 3TB hard drive formatted correctly.  I am currently running a backup.  There is supposed to be a blue light on the front of the case to indicate activity.  It doesn

I believe they purposely put limits on cases and raid cases so you will have to buy a new one when your drive dies just outside of warranty... They know drives will be bigger in time and you will want bigger...

Edited by road-runner

The way Celcius works is double it then add 30 and you will be within 2 degrees + or - of your farenheit temp. ex= 30c=30x2=60+30-=90F . Anything above 50c or 130F should warrant concern, if it reaches above 60C OR 150F it is time look for another drive. But remember this is all connected to ambient temp of the room, number of fans in the pc, and how much load on the drive. Hope this helps a bit. Also, laptops tend to run a lot hotter than desktops so highrt temps in a laptop (55C TO 65c) are usually not a problem.

I believe they purposely put limits on cases and raid cases so you will have to buy a new one when your drive dies just outside of warranty... They know drives will be bigger in time and you will want bigger...

There's no conspiracy, it's just that the older chips have crappy firmware/hardware that wasn't developed with large drives in mind.  They literally can't access higher LBAs.