New Monitor(s?) Time

xPETEZx

For months I have been meaning to replace my now very old 3x Dell 2007FP 4:3 monitors.

They work great with my rig in Surround when games support it well.

However on games like StarCraft 2 I am reducded to a single 20" 4:3 monitor, and the games cut scenes are all 16:9 so have black borders top and bottom.

I am faced with 2 options:

1.) Buy 3 new monitors:

I really like these: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/24-dell-ultrasharp-u2414h-monitor-ips-ultra-thin-bezel-1920x1080-8ms-250cd-m-dp-mdp-hdmi-black-silve

I have 3 of these at my work currently, and they are fantastic. This option would be great when I work from home. But again I am reducded to 1 monitor when playing things like SC2. (But at least its now one awesome monitor!)

2.) Buy 1 large 32" 2K Monitor. I really like the look of this ASUS monitor:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/32-asus-ultra-low-blue-light-pb328q-monitor-va-panel-2560x1440-4ms-300cd-m-speakers-d-sub-dp-dvi-hdm

I dont work from home often, and dont need 3 monitors. I could try and work with just 1, esp given the high res. If I needed more space later could look to either add back one of my 20" in portrait, or just buy something that matches as closely as possible.

Cost wise its a bit cheaper to go with 1 large screen.

Anybody else been in this dilmea? What choice did you make?

Got any comments about the ASUS monitor? (I am good on the Dell, used it for years so know its good)

I am not really intersted in a 4K monitor. I dont want to need to replace my GTX970 already. Also dont really think ill miss what I havent seen. So please no recomendations for things like the Phillips 40" 4K monitor.

32" is really as large as I can go on my desk. Even that may be too big.

Cheers for comments! 

Never owned a monitor from either brand. (Always had Dell / LG / BenQ)

But do own a Samsung TV which I love.

Now I have had LCD screens since my LG 17" 16ms monitor. And played FPS on them from the day dot.

Yet with this current crop of monitors (I have not bought a screen since my Benq 24" back in 07) people keep talking about "input lag"

I understand banding/back light bleed/poor colour/poor viewing angle/tearing, as in I have seen these effects and can understand the problem.

However I cant say I have ever experienced input lag?

Anybody comment on any of the displays? 

I've always been a fan of one good monitor over a couple lesser ones. Easier on the GPU too and no worry of bezels. I'd say since you aren't going to be doing any real work, that'd be the only benefit of the real estate granted by extra monitors.

Input lag, in general, is not an issue unless you're a CRT purist. Even then, it's hard to argue that a few millisecond of input lag (due to scalers, etc) will affect anyone except the highest end players, and I even doubt that effect.

Cool :)

I am fairly set on the Samsung 32" at this point. For the price, its much cheaper than the 3x 24's, and a fair bit cheaper than the other 32" as well.

Already decided that with the change ill go ahead and get a M2 512GB SSD! :D

This is going to be an early Xmas gift to me, so will probably be buying in the next week. Any comments on the specific monitors (or suggestions for other 30-34" 2k monitors) welcome!

Sadly no monitor recommendations since I haven't been in that market for sometime and likely won't be for a while. I still prefer resolution over refresh rate though, 60Hz is nice enough, resolution is prettier to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running 3xasus 144Hz monitors.. (4k res) works pretty good in all the games I'm running but i generally play MMO's. I've been thinking about going to a single 4k monitor but haven't seen any over 60Hz and was wondering if there would be a quality difference myself.. (other then no bezels, which gets annoying at times.)

• 1 month later...

Curve balled this one...ended up getting a Dell U2715H.

Love the thin bezels on the Dell's, and figured 27" would be enough as my desk it quiet small.

Decided I wanted to stick to Dell, as I have had such a good experience with them, but wanted to try going single monitor.

Have to re-adjust to loosing some peripheral vision in FPS games where I use to have 3, but gained for central vision.

StarCraft 2 is soooooooo much better now. Just 1 20" was a bit limiting.

Here's a picture:

post-14164-0-37016600-1452940210_thumb.jpg

She's a beaut! Also nice Z5500s ;)

Yea I am dreading the day the Z5500 give up the ghost. 10 years old this year!

No idea what I would replace them with...seems Logitech never made a proper replacement for them.