[Info] Browser memory usage compare

KngTyrannosauru

Hello! I'm new, figured I'd start with some data :D

So I was looking at new browsers and figured I'd do a compare of their memory usage

Each browser was opened, set up and left idle with a YouTube and Facebook tab open (on the homepage and newsfeed respectively)

I specifically chose not to include standard chrome but instead a fleshed out, community version that has a *ton* of stuff, seriously check it out on the Torch homepage. Surprisingly its not all that memory intensive... 

Anyway I decided to go with Opera because I didn't really need the features of Torch and I never really could get comfortable with Firefox... I was in an abusive relationship with edge before but an inability to play tetrisfriends was the final straw

Oh well, compared browsers:

• Microsoft Edge
  • Torch
  • Opera
  • Firefox

post-142493-0-68894900-1444308315_thumb.png

Until there's a *really* good reason to not use Chrome...it'll run on all my devices.

When my netbook and tablet with 2 GB of RAM can comfortably run Chrome, I see zero reason to worry about browser memory usage.

Until there's a *really* good reason to not use Chrome...it'll run on all my devices.

When my netbook and tablet with 2 GB of RAM can comfortably run Chrome, I see zero reason to worry about browser memory usage.

I've had Chrome use over 10 GB of RAM before with only four or five tabs being actively used (actually had 20 tabs, all Google Docs stuff, but most were still on the log-in page because I hadn't bothered refreshing them after I logged in, as I did not need them at the time). Would that be a *really* good reason to not use it, if you had that experience?

Also, just want to say that the 'Don't load tabs until selected' is an amazing feature in Firefox and I wish more browsers had it. (Chrome doesn't except supposedly via extensions that I have never gotten to work before.)

I dont worry about memory usage.

With Chrome and 17 tabs open and some of them streaming I still only use 2.5 gig of ram out of 16gb.

I've had as many as 28 tabs open still no issue. Earlier versions of Chrome seemed to use more ram but lately its been pretty low.

Chrome uses what's available, like any good program should. If it provides a better experience, eat that RAM!

Chrome has never provided me with a better experience, regardless of the RAM it pulls. At launch it drags performance down for everything to the point that I cannot do anything else until it finishes. While programs should take the RAM they want, if you have enough, 10+ GB for a few spreadsheets, one form, and Gmail is absurd.

Chrome uses what's available, like any good program should. If it provides a better experience, eat that RAM!

Chrome has never provided me with a better experience, regardless of the RAM it pulls. At launch it drags performance down for everything to the point that I cannot do anything else until it finishes. While programs should take the RAM they want, if you have enough, 10+ GB for a few spreadsheets, one form, and Gmail is absurd.

I'd say there is another program running on your pc that is also using a good % of that 10gb.