Supremacy EVO - Full Nickel CPU Waterblock Jet Plates

Howdy fellow OCers,

As you can see in the attached picture I'm a bit puzzled with my new Supremacy Evo. The instructions says the EVO comes with the J1 plate with Insert1 by default.

I clearly have the insert 2, which is easy to identify since it's got I2 stamped on it.

But as far the jetplates go, i'm a bit uncertain. Anybody who's owned one of these could surely help me out.

The instructions shows the J2/J3 plates should be identical in shape. With unique cutouts/dents on the top/bottom parts of the plates. But as you can see in my picture, the thinnest of the 2 extra plates seems to have the shape of the J1 plate. I have to say by judging with the eye, the dela in thickness between the 2 extra plate does appear greater than just a small 0.5mm in variance assuming I'd have gotten an extra J1 plate instead of a J3 plate.

But then again, there is nothing printed/stamped on the plates themselves making hard to know whether it's just a mistake in shape, but right thickness, or whether I got an extra J1 plate. /argh

Also, I'm very finicky about hardware and quality of manufacturing, Although the block itself is a beautifully brushed and polished piece of Nickel. As you can see in my picture, there is a very tiny bend in one of the corners, and also a small linear shaped dent on the right hand side of the plate. Wondering if these are worth worrying about or it's irrelevant to the functionality of the block.

I have to say, I was so excited  doing the photoshoot for the block, but when I read the instructions and they started talking that for optimal performance you had to open the block and change some parts in it, I was a bit surprised. I mean after putting a waterblock on a GPU I guess this is nothing, but still, I rather trust the manufacturing process for tightening screws and making sure all the pieces are aligned properly. The perfectionist inside of me hates when there is potential of me messing things up, although the process seems pretty straight forward.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

post-141325-0-76239500-1438232369_thumb.png

Edited by MedievalNerd

That looks like a totally screwed up J1 plate to me. The dent on the top left corner and the one down the middle (which is obvious from the shadowing) would have me demanding new parts.

Granted, coming from EK, you're probably not going to get anywhere. They're not scientists, they're salesmen with a mission to sell regardless of how terrible their product is. I can't forgive them for the junk science they published from an "independent lab" that defies physics in regards to corrosion.

That looks like a totally screwed up J1 plate to me. The dent on the top left corner and the one down the middle (which is obvious from the shadowing) would have me demanding new parts.

Granted, coming from EK, you're probably not going to get anywhere. They're not scientists, they're salesmen with a mission to sell regardless of how terrible their product is. I can't forgive them for the junk science they published from an "independent lab" that defies physics in regards to corrosion.

Crap,

OK. Well thanks for the feedback. Don't know about their qualifications, but a lot oft the benchmarks I've seen shows the evo as good contender  for performance. As for their GPU blocks, those were even mroe impressive in the random benchmarks I caught on some of tech sites I go to from time to time.

As for the plates, that's a huge bummer. I can surely talk it over with NCIX instead (ordered it from them.) and I have a relly good rapport with their customer service people. Although a second look at the instructions furthers the confusion, because it says on the top portion of the instructions that it comes pre-installed with the J1 plate, but the text in the picture I took says it comes with J1 and J3 plates as extras, What the?

Just a random question, in terms of waterblocks, what's your go to brand?

Thanks,

I like Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos series,.. the water is injected centrally and passes through copper pins in the cooling plate,.. instead of slots/J plates.

Edited by Braegnok

I had a bad experience with a plated block years ago,.. it was nickel plated and damn thing stained vary quickly then after cleaning block it started flaking,.. could not return block for refund or exchange for replacement,..  they blamed me for flaking issue due to cleaning system with vinegar,.. so I stay away from any plated blocks nowadays.

Edited by Braegnok

Ehhh,

Fingers crossed at this point. Unless NCIX extends an exchange offer, im stuck with this as a CPU block Hopefully their GPU blocks are good, cuz I've been having great performance so far. Would just hate for it to flake and die. :(

Thanks for the input gents,

As I have stated before, I have my old T/T CPU block for great cooling. 9 years old and still great.

On my GTX 670 FTW I had an EK full block and same now with my GTX 980 Strix. Both excellent cooling. for me.

Looking at that diagram, I get the feeling that the cooler is to finicky. I don't know what is available to you but my T/T block is a simple brass block with a high quality perspex aftermarket (read: homemade) top. Some sort of Acrylic that is very expensive.

There is a clamp H shape that held the block to the CPU. Changing from AMD to Intel got the brain working overtime, but a small chainsaw file moved the holes sideways for my Z97 board.

I am waffling on here, just to say simple might be better. Unless you want to hugely overclock. My i7-4790K is running between 23 and 47 degrees centigrade at idle. Ambient is 27C in this room.

Hmm,

I knew I wasn't crazy. Checked out a few reviews, and in Overclockers Club they did a 2014 roundup of CPU waterblocks and the Supremacy Evo had some of the best results in terms of thermals. Now, that being said, reviews don't reflect overall build quality, or longevity. So hopefully I got lucky and this baby won't crash and burn. :)

you know if you would rather use another brand then there is always the watercool Heatkill IV that came out recently. Mid this year I think. If I was you I would go that direction. Its a drastic improvement to its older predecessor and outperforms most of the modern High end stuff. This is the block I will get next. Even if its the basic version.

Here is the one I will be getting cause it looks fantastic. I don't care if it has one or two C higher then the others.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/heatkillerr-iv-basic-intel-processor-acryl-clean.html

Here is the review I read.

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/04/22/watercool-heatkiller-iv-cpu-water-block-review/6/

There's certainly nothing wrong with your block. I just have an intense dislike of EK and the way they lie to people.

Neither am I. However I have worked in customer service long enough that it is nearly as important to me as the product itself. Sure they do make one of the top performing blocks on the market. However im not impressed with there reputation. To cap that off I want to try something different so I jsuts wanted to put it in the guys ear. Just to explain myself. I need to upgrade my stuff. Im still running an Appogee XT for crying out loud.