Win7 or win8.1

Cespenar

I have the Asus Z97 Pro Gamer. An Intel i7 4790K is coming my way.

My system is OEM win 7 64bit.

I'm happy with that, but is Win 8.1 better for gaming?  *********** (my main activity)

I surf, listen to Youtube music and stuff as well as play games.

Win 8.1 has been around for a while now so should be ironed out.

I can't find a definitive argument for one or the other any more.

Guys? Any druthers?

I used both, w8 has a faster boot up time but I went back to w7 just because everything else was about the same and I liked it better for getting work done. If you like to link phones etc to your pc w8 is probably better.

I have Windows 7 still for my main machines. I have some machines, particularly my gaming machines, on Windows 8.1. I still haven't tried Windows 10, yet, but am waiting for the official release build.

Windows 8.1 would just slow me down and annoy me for doing any of my photo/video/audio/network/work tasks until I configured it the way I wanted, which is why I never switched over. There's some benefits, unfortunately, there's more cons for me, but it's definitely worth a try.

WIn7 is fine if you already have it but 8.1 is also great, just needs a little tinkering to make it Win7 looking/running but it's smoother/faster in some ways but not worth changing if you already have WIn7

I have worked with both W7 and W8.1 - like W7 much better, especially 64 bit.

My PC on W7-64bit comes up in about 40 seconds with an SSD.

When I had 8.1, yes, it came up faster but I could never get the performance that W7 gives.

Also, for some reason the 64 bit W7 version has more features than the 32 bit version.

Also, I think a properly tuned W7 64bit install out performs a Win 8.1 platform.

I do think that MS only consider the laptop market as an after thought.

Probably because W8.1 really wants a touch screen.

Just my 2 cents.

It seems most of you prefer Win7. I am happy with it, but I might want the old AMD stuff to make a complete computer.

If I do that I might prefer 7 in an Intel setup, and get some of you guys to tune, as you call it, to make a new 7 setup better.

I see that Win 7 is available for $230 and Win 8.1 is $135. Maybe that tells me most users don't like W8.1 as much.

I wanted a retail W7 in the past, but it was not available in Australia. If you think paying $200+ for W7 then I'd better do it.

Another thing, I hate fiddling with software. If I drop a spanner in the main cog I have to get Dan to fix it for me.

That is a lot of money for a copy of w7, you can dl an iso file of it from Microsoft for nothing and then you can buy the installation key on line much cheaper , shouldn't make a difference what country your in, or get your son to pick up a copy when he's in the states. Usually around $100 us dollars.

Maybe I should try the ISO file. What are the steps I have to take? (I have never done this before. And Dan isn't here to help. Maybe I should wait till he returns.)