Sapphire 7970 Problem

cferg10

So today has been one to forget. My parents have a PC that I built for them a few months ago and the 750W power supply I had in it decided to quit working; all parts are fine so that was a relief. I plugged my power supply in to test it.

So when putting my PC back together I noticed that my Sapphire 7970 Dual-X Boost edition video card had only one fan spinning as if it wasn't receiving enough power. I checked the cables and the psu and they were both drawing power. I plugged one into the top right connector to see if it was still getting power and it wasn't; the top left connector was able to receive power but only power one fan. 

The display did come on but with one fan running I am hesitant to do much with it so I stuck my old 570 in for the time being; have any of you all had this problem and is there a fix other than sending it in? I don't believe I have any warranty left on the product and I was planning on upgrading here later this year when I go and upgrade my cpu/mobo....

Basically what I am asking is what would you do in a situation like this and is there a fix that I am not thinking of or should I just buy a new card and if so what should I do? 970 or wait for 300 series?

Sounds like one fan died to me.

Someone on another forum mentioned that very same thing and he sent me a link to some replacement fans.

I guess where I am hung up is why the left fan would spin with power into the top left connector while no fans would spin if I plugged it into the right connector even though the fans are both powered by one 4-pin connector on the gpu board.

Of course, I'll be the first to admit that I have no clue how it all operates, just an explanation if anyone knows would be nice.

The fan needs a certain amount of current to operate. As components get older, the circuitry involved to power the fan may have gone bad. However, that is probably an unlikely case if someone else had the same problem and it was fixed using just replacement fans.

To be clear, it's not using adapters? You're using the PCIE 6-pin and/or 8-pin connectors directly from the PSU?

Try testing the 4-pin fan connector directly on the motherboard if you can, and see if it makes both fans spin.

The fan needs a certain amount of current to operate. As components get older, the circuitry involved to power the fan may have gone bad. However, that is probably an unlikely case if someone else had the same problem and it was fixed using just replacement fans.

To be clear, it's not using adapters? You're using the PCIE 6-pin and/or 8-pin connectors directly from the PSU?

Try testing the 4-pin fan connector directly on the motherboard if you can, and see if it makes both fans spin.

No adapters. It was straight from the PSU.

I'll try that tonight when I get home from work. 

I just don't feel as if the circuitry on a 7970 that was brand new a few years ago should go bad already.

I just don't feel as if the circuitry on a 7970 that was brand new a few years ago should go bad already.

Of all the HD 7970's I've had (and I've had maybe 30), a Sapphire card is the only one that went bad. The Dual-X is basically reference boards using non-reference coolers, so it was probably just coincidence.

Of all the HD 7970's I've had (and I've had maybe 30), a Sapphire card is the only one that went bad. The Dual-X is basically reference boards using non-reference coolers, so it was probably just coincidence.

Well I appreciate the help. I was planning on upgrading the GPU when Skylake dropped in August but I think I am going to go ahead and upgrade now. 

I'll probably still buy the fans and see if that works even after I buy a new card; if it does work I'll just give it to a family member for their PC.

Np. I wouldn't rule out the PSU, either. What is the PSU being used?

OCZ Fatal1ty 750W Semi-Modular

I figured since I put in my old 570 and it had no issues from the same power source that it would have to be an issue with the card.

I figured since I put in my old 570 and it had no issues from the same power source that it would have to be an issue with the card.

The GTX 570 requires 35A from the +12V rail. The OCZ Fatal1ty 750W has four +12V rails rated at 18A per rail. You would get 36A from using two separate rails, just enough for the GTX 570 to run.

The HD 7970 only requires 30A. Did you make sure that you're using two different +12V rails and not two PCIE connectors connected to the same +12V rail (which you would only get 18A)?

The GTX 570 requires 35A from the +12V rail. The OCZ Fatal1ty 750W has four +12V rails rated at 18A per rail. You would get 36A from using two separate rails, just enough for the GTX 570 to run.

The HD 7970 only requires 30A. Did you make sure that you're using two different +12V rails and not two PCIE connectors connected to the same +12V rail (which you would only get 18A)?

As far as I remember yes. I'll go back tonight and look at it again and see how I had the power config.

Makes sense though that I could have something wrong in that area. 

When I boot up the fan spins for about one rotation then stops.