Gaming rig $400 confused about cpu+Mobo and Gpu

khaledbinhamdan

Hello everyone,

I am trying to upgrade my pc for the purpose of gaming my budget is $400 to $500, I play at 1080p. I want to play the new games at decent fps. I would like to have a full ATX motherboard and preferably overclockable. I want to try two SSDs in RAID 0 in the future.

My current rig:

CPU: E8600

GPU: HD 6790

RAM: HyperX T1 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600

Motherboard: Biostar G41D3

PSU: Antec TPQ-1200 1200W

HDD 1: Western Digital Black 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

HDD 2: Western Digital WD Green 1TB 5400 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

I have different options for CPU + Motherboard that I came up with:

Option 1:

AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8-Core 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W - $150

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX -$130

Total: $280

Option 2:

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150-$235

ASRock Z97 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA -$165

Total: $400

These are the GPUs I am considring:

Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB GDDR5-$283

Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB GDDR5-$311

SAPPHIRE TRI-X OC 100361-2SR Radeon R9 290X 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 -$360

The main thing for me is gaming performance and reliability. I don't have any problem with power consumption or heat. I play games like Total War series, The Witcher 2, Arma 3 and Battlefield 4. Also, I do multitasking.

My thoughts: Cheaper CPU+Mobo and better GPU or more expensive CPU+Mobo and cheaper GPU?

My main question is what do i choose to be in the $400 to $450 budget or even $500.

After this upgrade I am planing to upgrade to SSD and a 16GB but that will happen after a while.

I took the prices from Newegg and Amazon.

Is it worth it to wait until AMD release their 300 series as i think it will make the prices of gpus drop?

Thanks Guys

Edited by khaledbinhamdan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the total budget is $500, correct? If you don't mind shopping around and using rebates, something like this would get you a touch over the $500 max.

If you want to drop down to a different CPU and bump up to a more powerful video card, then this is something to consider. Little bit more over that $500, but not terrible. Dropping to a R9 290 would get you under $500, like so.

For Intel, you would probably best be served getting just the CPU and mobo for now, and then a video card later on, provided you don't have easy access to a Micro Center.

Man, For $440 I picked this up about a month ago and it's the best thing I've ever done.  I did, however, already have a GTX660Ti though so that shaved a little cost off.  Hell, the Intel built in GPU is decent though.

Intel i5 4690K: $199.99

AsRock Z87 Extreme4: $89.99

Corsair 2x4gb 1600 DDR3: $79.99

Thermaltake Water3.0: $59.99

All at Micro Center.

Hell, if you want to use the stock cooler that comes with the i5, shave that cost off and buy a GTX660Ti for $149 and you're all set under $500.

So the total budget is $500, correct? If you don't mind shopping around and using rebates, something like this would get you a touch over the $500 max.

If you want to drop down to a different CPU and bump up to a more powerful video card, then this is something to consider. Little bit more over that $500, but not terrible. Dropping to a R9 290 would get you under $500, like so.

For Intel, you would probably best be served getting just the CPU and mobo for now, and then a video card later on, provided you don't have easy access to a Micro Center.

Thanks

I am considering this as you suggested.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jcXLK8

I need people opinion on the fx6300 (from the owners of it).

Edited by khaledbinhamdan

Man, For $440 I picked this up about a month ago and it's the best thing I've ever done. I did, however, already have a GTX660Ti though so that shaved a little cost off. Hell, the Intel built in GPU is decent though.

All at Micro Center.

Hell, if you want to use the stock cooler that comes with the i5, shave that cost off and buy a GTX660Ti for $149 and you're all set under $500.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately i don't have access to micro centre.

Isn't the GTX 660Ti a bit outdated?

Man, For $440 I picked this up about a month ago and it's the best thing I've ever done. I did, however, already have a GTX660Ti though so that shaved a little cost off. Hell, the Intel built in GPU is decent though.

All at Micro Center.

considering the gtx 770 (680 rebrand with better memory) is a mid to low-end card, it is quite outdated, yes.

Unless you like low settings of course xD

All at Micro Center.

considering the gtx 770 (680 rebrand with better memory) is a mid to low-end card, it is quite outdated, yes.

Unless you like low settings of course xD

I guess it is better to buy the cpu and mobo now and use my GPU for a bit more card until i see a drop in the prices as AMD will soon release the 300 series. what do you think guys?

Bahaha, normally I would troll the ever-loving fack out of you guys right now but I won't...   The GTX660Ti is only out-dated in the sense that it was made a long time ago.  I recently overclocked to 133% of normal specs (Via ASUS Smart-Clock software),  and my temps never go above 55c.  I play everything on 1920 x 1080 with highest settings possible and have never gone below 60fps, usually hover between 90-120.  

Archeage Online: All max, clouds @ shadows on, all post-effects on, 60-90 fps

Battlefield 4: All max settings, all post-effects on: 60-100 depending on the map (Which honestly is bad for gameplay because of the ungodly particle effects in the game, but im more for playing a pretty game than being amazing)

H1Z1: About as "max" as you can get with the current graphics options, never go below 70.

Planetside 2: As max as you can get, with shadows, and sometimes I get into the 50's but that's a CPU hitch, not a GPU hitch.

I'm sure other cards like a 770 or the 9-series look amazeballs better on paper, and they certainly achieve better benchmark scores, but I've played Battlefield 4 on my friend's system after he spent $800+ on the newest titanium GTX card and honestly I didn't see a difference.  

Bahaha, normally I would troll the ever-loving fack out of you guys right now but I won't...   The GTX660Ti is only out-dated in the sense that it was made a long time ago.  I recently overclocked to 133% of normal specs (Via ASUS Smart-Clock software),  and my temps never go above 55c.  I play everything on 1920 x 1080 with highest settings possible and have never gone below 60fps, usually hover between 90-120.  

Archeage Online: All max, clouds @ shadows on, all post-effects on, 60-90 fps

Battlefield 4: All max settings, all post-effects on: 60-100 depending on the map (Which honestly is bad for gameplay because of the ungodly particle effects in the game, but im more for playing a pretty game than being amazing)

H1Z1: About as "max" as you can get with the current graphics options, never go below 70.

Planetside 2: As max as you can get, with shadows, and sometimes I get into the 50's but that's a CPU hitch, not a GPU hitch.

I'm sure other cards like a 770 or the 9-series look amazeballs better on paper, and they certainly achieve better benchmark scores, but I've played Battlefield 4 on my friend's system after he spent $800+ on the newest titanium GTX card and honestly I didn't see a difference.  

The gtx 660 ti IS low-end / outdated lol

GTX 960 = mid-tier and that card is at least twice as fast as the gtx 660.

Try to run demanding games, you will soon see it is not s good as you think it is lol

What's more demanding than BF4 or PS2 on max?

games out now:

ryse

dragon age inquisition

evolve

crysis 3

assassins creed unity

call of duty ghosts / advanced warfare

far cry 4

and many more

planetside 2 is really light, even my moms laptop can run that.